Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The care of Pollen  (Read 872 times)

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
The care of Pollen
« on: July 30, 2019, 04:59:44 pm »
Does anyone have any recommendations of the proper care and handling of Pollen?

It seems (as I'm learning), that my main summertime flow is Pollen. My bees backfill the brood nest with 10 to 20 frames of pollen this time of year.

So I bought a cheap pollen trap this year to try on 1 hive. Now I have quart jars of bee pollen.

I noticed a wax moth larvae crawling thru a fresh tray of pollen the other day, so I put the jars in the freezer.

Any suggestions or things I should know?
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: The care of Pollen
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 05:18:00 pm »
Allen, I have not collected pollen but looking on Tim Durham?s videos, I am thinking he said to keep it frozen for freshness... Now this is a vague memory so don?t quote me. I have bought pollen from Mr Durham in the past as he lives close but I did not raise the question. It has always been in a ziplock bag from him.  PS being in a pollen area may be a good spinoff? I am interested in your results. Will you be kind enough to share your success and learnings here as you go along?
Thanks,
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 06:09:22 pm »
I will share Phillip. Definitely.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 06:14:36 pm »
You are on track Mr Cool.  Collect pollen from the trap at 3 day intervals.  Bag it sealed tight and store in the freezer until use.  Trap it during times of high rates.  Feed it back in patties in the fall as high nutrition preps of winter bees getting ready for winter.

Sprinkle some on your morning buttered and honey smeared toast.  Sprinkle some on fresh sticky cinnamon buns.  Tighten your shoe laces first.

Also PM sent.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 02:03:43 pm by TheHoneyPump »
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 08:32:50 pm »
Thank you HP.

Note: did not recieve a PM