Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Oxalic Acid and Honey Harvest  (Read 2930 times)

Offline LadyP825

• Brood
Oxalic Acid and Honey Harvest
« on: September 07, 2015, 08:53:42 pm »
Hello!  First year beekeeper here.  I recently inspected my hive and noticed some varroa on drone larvae.  I also spotted some bees in front of the hive walking about as if they couldn't fly.  I don't suspect a huge varroa infestation...but I also want a strong hive going into winter as I live in the northeast and winters tend to be brutal.  I've been researching oxalic acid vaporization and I'm comfortable with the procedure.  My question is does anyone know how the treatment may affect honey harvested the next year?  Will the honey still be edible and safe?  My thought is that the bees will clean up any residue left in the hive after treatment in time for next year's harvest.  Any input in greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Oxalic Acid and Honey Harvest
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 08:57:36 pm »
With oxalic acid, you can treat with supers on and harvest the same honey later. It doesn't harm the honey at all.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline KeyLargoBees

• Field Bee
    • Pirate Hat Apiary
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 08:52:51 am »
Idee are you saying the cautions against leaving supers in place that I see in these FAQ sheets out there by Dadant and Brushy are not necessary? Or are you commenting on leaving the honey in place for "bee use" and not for harvest?
Jeff Wingate

Changes in Latitudes...Changes in Attitudes....are Florida Keys bees more laid back than the rest of the country...only time will tell!!!
piratehatapiary@gmail.com https://www.facebook.com/piratehatapiary

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 09:13:21 pm »
Your honey already has OA in it, as do most plants. A lot of it in Rhubarb.
  I dont treat with OAV with the supers on, but only because of the timing of that treatment. Early spring and fall. I have read research that tested the concentrations of OA in the honey and found no noticeable increase after treatment with supers on.
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

anything