Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: frustration  (Read 6053 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: frustration
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2009, 01:08:54 pm »
I need to learn when to lower my standards! 

you don't need to lower your standards, you need to define perfection.

in nature, perfection has more to do with survival.  those creatures who are strong, survive.  those who are not, die.   in this way, living things "perfect" their genetics.  your idea of perfection is the survival of your hives. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline paulh

• New Bee
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2009, 11:42:53 pm »

your idea of perfection is the survival of your hives.  

Do you honestly think that you know me well enough to tell me where I should set my standards or what I think my own ideas are?

« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 01:29:27 am by paulh »

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2009, 08:38:15 am »

your idea of perfection is the survival of your hives.  

Do you honestly think that you know me well enough to tell me where I should set my standards or what I think my own ideas are?

:roll:  IMHO you need to know the BEES standards to define perfection.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2009, 12:27:55 am »
paulh your Standards have nothing to do with bee's they do what they do so deal with it! Are don't have bee's :?
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2009, 01:01:57 am »
It seems to me the bees are the ones with the standards. If they don't have housing that meets their standards they abscond, if they feel crowded they swarm....
They are completely in control of what they want to do and how they want to live.
You are going to make mistakes and just have to go with the flow and learn from them instead of getting frustrated.
I have not had a mentor either. I learn as I go and seek out the information I need.
Everyone loses colonies or at the very least have weak hives.
I am a first year beekeeper but I have learned one thing from my own hives and reading other people's experiences on this forum.
Its good to spend more time just observing and less time micro managing their every move.
I have read many times different scenarios that went bad with someone's hives and the outcome quite often has been that they caused unnecessary interferance.
Its not always necessary to be doing something with or for the bees, they know what they need and want and you just need to learn to follow their cues.
Try to relax and enjoy watching them coming and going and just let them do their thing.
What is it you want from them? What is so frustrating about these hives anyway?

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2009, 01:20:28 am »

don't need to.  what you think and want will influence the bees not one bit!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2009, 01:46:48 am »

don't need to.  what you think and want will influence the bees not one bit!
BANG
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline Davepeg

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2009, 10:31:47 am »
Give up? Never!  Our first year was horrible.  I came home one day to find my husband standing by the hive which was all spread out on the ground - we had lost our first hive!  It was terrible, sad and we were discouraged.  But the next year we started out with 2 nucs, now in our 4th year we have 6. 

The bees are the best teachers there are.  This forum is always there for you.  Look how many responses you received.  And when you have a question, you get a quick answer.

I didn't recognize the drones the first year - was in a panic, posted a message and within a hour had 4 responses. 
Looking forward to hearing from you again with a success story.
We love the girls...

Offline wharfrat

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2009, 05:29:39 pm »
 :mrgreen: