Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Varroa detected in Australia  (Read 45666 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Varroa detected in Australia
« Reply #220 on: November 25, 2022, 12:09:59 am »
Sorry to hear the bad news Max....

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #221 on: November 25, 2022, 03:08:22 am »

Offline max2

• Queen Bee

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #223 on: December 01, 2022, 11:23:36 am »
That is a sad story Max.

We have gone over the following basic information before. Just a refresher in case some of our newer members or guest might have missed it:

This small piece of basic information is taken from an article published by Texas A&M Agrilife

Topic: Varroa Mites

"They are spread within a colony when bees come into contact with one another. Mites are also spread between colonies and apiaries via robbing, drifting, swarming, and absconding. Varroa mites are unable to live for more than a few days without a host"
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #224 on: December 10, 2022, 03:57:04 am »
This is the latest update that I can find...

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #225 on: December 15, 2022, 04:38:23 pm »
I had no local news for a while.
This is from " Catch the Buzz":

https://www.beeculture.com/varroa-eradication-in-australia/

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #226 on: December 15, 2022, 05:02:48 pm »

Thanks for the update Max.

Max2
"Australian researchers are hoping to develop a world-first hormone-based pesticide, safe for honey bees but fatal to varroa mite, and another destructive pest, the small hive beetle."

Max this report is also very interesting. Please keep us updated as this research moves along.

Thanks,

Phillip

Hi Max,
Do you, (or perhaps someone here), know if this study is gaining ground toward success?

Thanks,

Phillip

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #227 on: December 22, 2022, 12:28:04 am »
Latest Update I have found.

Phillip

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #228 on: December 23, 2022, 07:53:10 am »
Every place tries eradication.  It has never worked...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #229 on: January 06, 2023, 07:29:49 am »
Does anyone have new information or updates? I have been patiently seeking new updates and don't know what is happening with the once clear and reliable, open informational updates from NSW. The last report available from NSW Department of Primary Industries was December 19, 2022. No updates from them on this official Government site, since.... This is very disappointing as I have been keeping up with the results of findings very closely through this Official Government Site.

As reported Dec 19 there was new infestation found and made know. Again, not a word or update since from this once reliable source on information which 'was' faithful in providing updated information...

Phillip

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #230 on: January 07, 2023, 12:45:26 am »
Hi Phillip,

there has been no up-date since the 19. December - as you say.

I used to get up-dates every Friday but not recently.
I just hope they have not gone on Holidays - it is peak Holiday season here in Australia. Varroa does not take a break.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #231 on: January 12, 2023, 04:04:23 am »

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #232 on: January 12, 2023, 06:15:58 am »
Sorry Max. But thanks for the update.

Phillip

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #233 on: January 12, 2023, 05:14:33 pm »
Hi Phillip,

It looks like the energy has left the Biosecurity team.
We used to receive weekly up-dates.

This is far from over.
A lot of people are upset and angry.
People have lost their income, their hobby and many are too old to start again after the required help.
I have not come across one beekeeper who is thinking about expanding but many who are selling hives.

Nuc sales have not been bad this season but slightly down on last year.

The cost of queens has gone up a lot. I used to buy queens form NSW, the state most affected by the Varroa outbreak. This is not possible now.

The return on honey should increase.

all the best
max

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #234 on: January 12, 2023, 10:44:37 pm »
Hi Max,

Thank you for your report. Do you know if any of the new findings have been 'outside' of the danger zone and eradication areas? Hopefully not..  It is understandable that folks are disappointed. We (beekeepers) knew, going into this that it would be a tough row to hoe, a hard enemy to defeat, because 'ever single' Varroa Destructor 'has' to be eradicated for the outcome to be a successful venture. IF the new findings are within the danger zones listed by the officials there may still be a decent chance of success.

I am still 'hoping for the best' results for you and your countrymen who are associated with the Honeybee in any avenue. Each and everyone of you deserve tons of credit for your efforts and sacrifice while you continue working 'together' to contain and eliminate this pest. I feel sure every beekeeper 'knows' and 'knew', the uphill climb and 'stiff odds'; yet with unselfishness and willingness to offer what was needed when the program of ridding this pest was first put forth and set into motion. Win or Lose this battle, you and your fellow countrymen can hold your heads high knowing you "each" are doing the very best you can in this fight.... As you said the 'War' is not over.

PS
I hope the following thinking is never needed, but Just in-case the battle doesn't go as hoped, perhaps beekeepers from all over the world can unite for you and yours by stepping up and 'donate' to your cause by shipping stock to your country. FREE

If individual beekeepers from all over would co-op by coordination, (if only one hive each),  of certified heathy bees shipped by the airplane load to your country to be distributed according to each beekeepers loss, wouldn't that be grand!

I am thinking if the need were to arise, with the right people involved, perhaps companies such as Fed-ex, UPS, and DHL etc. might also donate by giving free shipping of this cargo throughout different areas of your country. Or where needed

You would need a fluent spokesperson to coordinate this effort and a good team to help the endeavor become a reality. I personally think it CAN be done if it comes down to it. Lets continue to be hopeful it does not, but either way, lets continue to be hopeful. I am still 'cheering' for you.
Wishing each of you in Australia the very best, especially the good beekeepers who have sacrificed and lost so much!

Sincerely,

Phillip

« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 11:16:49 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #235 on: January 13, 2023, 07:22:26 am »
Where would you get Varroa free stock to ship?
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #236 on: January 13, 2023, 08:47:50 am »
And almost every hive has a few mites that would go undetected.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #237 on: January 13, 2023, 09:53:12 am »

Please read the entire post carefully in reply 234. Varroa free was never suggested to be shipped, certified heathy bees were. (just as certified healthy bees should only be shipped here, past the bounds of state to state in my opinion)
And this extreme suggestion 'is if and only if', the war is lost in Australia against varroa.  Therefore the effort to help the beekeepers in that country who have put up such a gallant fight in their effort to eradicate Varroa Destructor. Yet lost so much and as per Max description, many are in total despair.  But as Max also said and I will say again, The war is not over and the flag of surrender has not been waved. But as General Lee said. "The situation is not favorable."

Is it not wise to have a good plan in place if the first one does not work out? (The eradication of Varroa Destructor in Australia)

If so I have no doubt that you both would be among the many willing to help with such an endeavor, at least by donating bees?
(That is if the people of Australia would accept the good will after giving it careful thought)

Thanks,

Phillip

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #238 on: January 13, 2023, 05:11:34 pm »
Hi Philip,

I understand that Australia has permitted the importation of some selected queens from " varroa resistant or tolerant" stock.
I don't know the details.

At this stage the focus is syill on eradication.

A considerable amount of money has been made availbel to compensate beekeeprs who had to destroy hives - professional and backyarders.

At this point there are one EPI center and two other areas which have been affected.

Movement of bees is stricly controlled.

As Michael and others have pointed out, erradication has not worked in other countries.

We live in hope and prepare for the worst.
Your concern is appreaciated

max

Offline Skeggley

• House Bee
« Reply #239 on: January 13, 2023, 10:14:03 pm »

Western Australia, South Australia, Tasmania, Queensland, Northern Territory, Canberra, Victoria?
Kangaroo Island (SA) and Rottnest Island(WA) supposedly have some of the purest strains on the planet although KI is still recovering after the fires a few years ago.
Ships not required. :happy:

anything