Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm Trap deadout/abscond  (Read 71 times)

Offline Occam

• House Bee
Swarm Trap deadout/abscond
« on: April 18, 2024, 12:40:05 am »
A few weeks ago I posted in another thread about bees moving in to a swarm trap I had placed at my parents house. All frames were foundationless, the bees were very active for about 3 weeks inspecting before moving in and have been active since. My parents went out of town last Wednesday and the bees had been busy going in and out, all seemed normal.

Today when they looked at it there was no activity at the hive which they alerted me to. I stopped on my way home and sure enough, no bees. I opened the top and could see bees in the bottom of the box. I also found a fair amount of wax moth larvae crawling around. I had brushed melted wax inside on the walls, I assume that was the attractant there.

I found one very small bit of comb being started, only a couple inches. There did appear possibly to have been a bit more started on some starter strips but if so there was only faint crumbles, and the weren't on an adjacent frame to the new wax. There were dead bees in the box but not a full swarm and no queen that I could identify. I suspect a poison situation followed by an abscond when the wax moths got too strong. Any other theories out there? Here are the pictures I took.

Entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Swarm Trap deadout/abscond
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2024, 11:34:13 am »
Occam
Im sorry you lost your hive. Usually wax moth larva are not a problem in my area until the hot Sumner and Fall. Even then with plenty of bees they are not a problem then. (SHB is another issue.)
Even though the picture was not clear there seemed to be a good bit of dead bees in your box. Neither SHB or Wax moth larva should kill the bees.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Occam

• House Bee
Re: Swarm Trap deadout/abscond
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2024, 01:59:34 pm »
Yeah, the moths wouldn't have been the cause of the dead bees. I think the neighbor behind my parents got nervous and used a pesticide or they found a pesticide somewhere. It's nowhere close to the whole swarm that moved in so either some died outside the box, the remaining bees absconded when the wax moths started to multiply and they couldn't keep on top of them anymore, or both. My theory at least
Entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity