Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Long hives swarming before honey flow.  (Read 8219 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Long hives swarming before honey flow.
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2022, 05:48:35 pm »
Lois,
If you try to run two colonies out of the same long box...
1. one on each end
2. each with their own entrance
3. honey in the middle
4. queen excluder on each side of the honey.
Won't the two worker populations fight in the honey middle ground, or worse, cross over to the other side and kill the other queen?
I have always heard of a solid divider board between the two, or a double screened bottom board where the two populations cannot reach, pass through, nor touch each other.
They absolutely could.  There are ways to run double queen hives, but I'm not personally familiar with doing it.  I think HoneyPump has done double queen hives before, maybe he will respond. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2022, 06:05:58 pm »
They have around 8 frames of brood already. We are having a little honey flow from the red maples. They are putting up nectar. It's not enough to cap, but sure enough for the hives to expand.
This is my point If I have 9 frames of brood and 2 feed frames and I pull 3 frames 2 brood and 1 feed, I install 2 frames of drawn comb and 1 frame undrawn foundation. If I install 3 frames undrawn foundation They wont draw that out quick enough this time of year and will swarm. Drawn comb is your most useful asset and ally in the situation you are describing. To expand a little further. If im short on comb I feed, feed, feed, certain hives to do this for me. Granted it costs sugar and time but in the long run more than pays for its self.

Offline loisl58

• New Bee
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2022, 11:48:45 pm »
Lois,
If you try to run two colonies out of the same long box...
1. one on each end
2. each with their own entrance
3. honey in the middle
4. queen excluder on each side of the honey.
Won't the two worker populations fight in the honey middle ground, or worse, cross over to the other side and kill the other queen?
I have always heard of a solid divider board between the two, or a double screened bottom board where the two populations cannot reach, pass through, nor touch each other.
There were no problems for quite a while. The queens were born about same time and one came back in the other side of Queen excluder.
After a month I moved middle queen down to west.
So there was Brood, QE, honey, QE,  Brood.
I think queen on 1 side east swarmed. So I removed QE. And then Queen on west moved into honey area so I took other QE.

She has full run of hive now. Will be interested to see how far she will lay. May be ok may be not.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk