Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What is your favorite veggie to grow?  (Read 10284 times)

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
What is your favorite veggie to grow?
« on: February 01, 2005, 11:50:13 pm »
I would have to say my favorite veggie this year to grow would be green snapping beans. I love all the things I grow but for some reason I have craved green beans since last growing season. I love growing them but hate picking them and snapping them. bye
Ryan Horn

Violacea

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 01:54:13 am »
I love eating green beans.  I have to say tomatoes cause I think they are more of a challenge.  I like trying different things with different verities, seeing what works good.  Back home we used to compete on who could get their tomatoes to ripen first.  I also like corn, but then, anything I can eat while I'm out. I mean a person could starve walking from our house to the barn,  :shock:  my garden is my oasis.

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
Tomatoes
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 08:42:01 am »
Tomatoes are my thing. I've spent 3 years finding the right varieties for my area and get them started indoors late in March.  I give alot of plants away every spring, I start probably 66% more than I can use.  But everyone loves the plants.  

I had a groundhog eating all my beans last year. I'll try again this time.

Cucumbers are also my favorites. Lots of pickles around here.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 11:24:51 am »
I'm a pepper guy.  From hots to sweet and everything in between.
If we weren't so soil challenged here in the mountains, I would be growing a lot more stuff.

click image for larger view
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

pumpkinpiper

re
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2005, 12:15:03 pm »
I'm a giant pumpkin grower myself. Been at it 9 years now, and still learn something new each year. It's amazing to see growth spirts of 25 pounds per day for a couple weeks. My personal best so far is 1150 pounds, but keeping fingers crossed to hit the 1200 pound mark this summer. Steve

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005, 01:03:31 pm »
Hi pumpkinpiper,

How much better do pumpkins do when pollunated by bees, or do bees mess with them. What kind of honey would one get from pumpkins?
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2005, 02:20:35 pm »
Quote from: Jerrymac
What kind of honey would one get from pumpkins?

Pumpkin Honey  :lol:
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Anonymous

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2005, 04:08:14 pm »
I am with you Robo. I like the peppers, however I lean more towards the hot ones.

Offline ibeecanadian

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2005, 05:49:34 pm »
hey pumpkinpiper, i grow atlantic giants aswell. my best yet is only 500lbs, but thats with the seed packs from the store. this year im going to order some good seeds from dill's. i self pollunate, that way i know the pollen isnt coming from the regular pumpkin patch next door.

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2005, 05:49:59 pm »
I like to grow pumkins but are soil isnt sandy enough. I grow 15 tomatoe plants and last year we probley went over the 3000 marker. I love to plant and walk around and watch my babies grow. I love to pick some plants like zucchinii and cucumbers and corn but not beans, love all the taste though.
Ryan Horn

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2005, 06:39:16 pm »
tomato's or (MATORES) is our plant to grow, about 50-100 plants a year, also got to have them Butterbeans, snapbeans, peas, bellpepper and corn, plus a few watermelons and cucumbers, oh yeah cant forget okra. my garden usually is about 1/2 to 3/4 of a acre in size.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2005, 08:54:26 pm »
Beets are what I tend to get most of, whether by plan or accident, I don't know.  And those are what my partner and son like the most.  My daughter likes the brussel sprouts, and they are kinda fun to grow, because they form is such a weid way.  I like peas, but I just can't seem to get a whole lot of yield from them.  Green beans are a favorite too, canned green beans remind me of the meals my mom and grandma made when I was little.

-- Kris

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2005, 11:56:03 pm »
Tomatos
I have to confess here or I guess I'l never be able to beat this problem.
I am a Tomato sandwich junkie!
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
tomato sandwiches mmmmmmm
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2005, 06:16:40 pm »
I love them too! I love it when you eat them over the sink with your sleeves rolled up and the juice is dripping down your arms into the sink.

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2005, 06:26:22 pm »
you cant forget the salt shaker!!!
Ryan Horn

Offline golfpsycho

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2005, 08:11:00 pm »
Or the discomfort from the acids in the dermaters...  bahahahahahaha

Offline bill

• House Bee
tomatoes
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2005, 06:46:12 pm »
Tomatoes is going to win that survey. I love to cook eat grow them but mainly I like to sell them as ss isn't quite enough to live on and I am yet to get any honey to eat let alone sell  lol
billiet

anything