Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Green as grass  (Read 10044 times)

Offline Rich V

• House Bee
Green as grass
« on: January 13, 2005, 12:50:37 am »
Hi to all.  My name is Rich, and I live in Northen Illinois.  I became intressted in beekeeping, this fall while at a friends farm. He got to talking about his bee's and got me hooked I have purchased a hive. Two deeps and a super. Also the stand and covers. Been reading alot and will be attending a class, put on by Dadant this Feb. I have my package ordered. I;m a little nevous about 10000 bees in one place, but think I can handle it. Looking forward to talking with you folks

Rich V

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Green as grass
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005, 04:24:44 am »
Ummmmm a new member :)

Hi Rich and Welcome to our Beekeeping Forums. I really think you have found a great resource here in the forums, our membership is very active and we have a lot of fun both Bee Related and open topics in our Coffee House Forums and other sections of the board.

The last few days weke we have gained 10+ members which really is exciting, expecially during the lull of Winter-time.

So enjoy the forums, please share your photos and experiences if you can - also, we'd love to hear any ideas of thoughts you have on any topic.

Rest assured too that we are a family riendly site, so if you have younger people in your family, we have a teen forum and even young children who need to have a safe place to communicate - we are always here for them.

Thanks for signing up and please post as often as you wish, sharing your experiences and searching for any answers that may occur. Great to have you and happy New Year.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
Hi and Welcome
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 10:47:00 am »
I'm new also, haven't quiet yet purchased the bees and stuff, but I have my price list and I"m ready to go.  I'm buying from a local breeder who sells nucs and will install them into my hive body for me.

Maybe next year I'll try a package as well :-)

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Green as grass
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005, 02:58:51 pm »
Amy:

I forgot to mention that I'm glad you found the Nemo Icon cute and usable, I was hoping it had a bit smoother animation, but it looks pretty darned god.

You brought up a good pont, that being that the level of experience in the forum ranges from the "Barely" Interested, through the awaiting their first colony, to the new beekeeper, to the old timers and even a few commercial Beekeepers. IT is that diversity that rearlly makes this a fun place to learn new stuff at all levels.

I've never made any of my own hive bodies, but we have great images on making practically every pieve of equipment in the hive - that to me is awesome reference.

But the interaction that we share here is seemless across the skill levels of the members, that is what keeps our group apart I think. We've been talking about the other bee forums out there lately, and I have to agree with Al (TrailTwister) that what people want when they come into a forum is help, not a lecture on where to find material that has been covered.

Here, we do things differently, first - you get a friendly welcome, some personal attention and assistance when ever possible - not a reference point to research material: that is good for ADDED content, but not for initial interaction.

Thanks for making me think of how well our group is at helping - when new members make their way to the forums, I'm comforted to know that they will always get a friendly welcome and I hope that makes them feel at home as much as you and I here.

Please Note too: More avatars are coming and also more color schemes. I'll be adding a POLL later to see who likes/uses which theme and why.

I also see that we have about 10 new members this week - great way to start out the new year, and MAN are the posts adding up. I just backed up the forum, so we are safe for yet another day :)
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Hi and Welcome
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2005, 03:16:04 pm »
Quote from: amymcg

Maybe next year I'll try a package as well :-)

First of all, Welcome Mark and Amy.   I'm sure you'll find a lot of support here if you need it,  just ask away.

Amy,

Don't be sucked into the believe that packages are the way to go.  Packages should be your last alternative.  By buying a nuc, you are getting bees that have drawn foundation and brood.  Both of which are priceless when you think of the advantage your bees will have over others that start with plain foundation.  

SHB (small hive beetles) are becoming more and more of a problem in the US as well.  It is very easy to get your apiary infected with SHB from packages.  Unfortunately it is becoming easier when buying nucs, if you are buying from a beekeep that moves South for the winter.

Once you have established hives,  the safest way (and cheapest) to grow is by doing splits.  Also get the word out and be on the lookout for swarms, just requeen them.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Green as grass
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2005, 06:54:26 pm »
Hi Rich, I am also from Illinois and so is Bee boy, we are both teens but from being here we have learned so much in the first week. I hope to see you on here some time, bye
Ryan Horn

Offline Jay

• House Bee
Re: Green as grass
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2005, 01:24:59 am »
Quote from: Rich V
I;m a little nevous about 10000 bees in one place, but think I can handle it. Looking forward to talking with you folks

Rich V

Welcom Rich! This site is a great resource and I'm sure you will enjoy your interaction here with the members.  As for the numbers, get used to them 'cause by the fall you're gonna have alot more than 10,000!!! :lol:

Amy,
     [ I'm new also, haven't quiet yet purchased the bees and stuff, but I have my price list and I"m ready to go. I'm buying from a local breeder who sells nucs and will install them into my hive body for me.]

I was talking to Lagrants a couple of weeks ago and they told me if I wanted any nucs this year to hurry up cause they're selling out fast. So if you haven't ordered yet, get on the phone or the fax today and set it up!! :D
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

Offline Rich V

• House Bee
Green as grass
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2005, 01:03:46 pm »
Ryan

What part of Illinois do you live in ? I live in Rockton. Do you have any
  hives yet ?

Rich V

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
Thanks for heads up on Lagrants
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2005, 01:50:50 pm »
I just talked to them and they are holding two nucs for me. one for me and one for my brother in law

:-)

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Green as grass
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2005, 05:56:36 pm »
Rich,

I live in central IL 20 mins south of the capitol. I think I know where You live, I am pretty shure that my 3rd cousins live up there, talk to later, I will check to see if you have AOL or Yahoo IM, Bye
Ryan Horn

Anonymous

Green as grass
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2005, 10:43:15 pm »
Hello Rich, Hope you find this place helpful. Since the membership is scattered thru out the world you will read about a lot of different methods. Some from farther areas you will find helpful. Some will have you scratching you head and saying  :? WHAT?????
John brought up my distaste for the treatment people receive on another forum. With out ever knowing your expertese with a computer you were still told to buy two books and do a search on the forum and internet before asking a question. You can safely ask all the questions here you want. Some may not get the answer you want some may not even get an answer for any number of reasons but you will never be told to do a search.
 :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  Like it would do any good any way. In :lol:  :lol: stumbling around the forum a while back John deleted a lot of post that  haddn't been replied to in 60 days.
Really though John is usally a competent beemaster and does a great job keeping things on an even keel.
 :D Al

Offline Rich V

• House Bee
Green as grass
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2005, 12:48:13 am »
Tail twister
  Thanks for the input. I'am sure I will be asking a lot of questions.

Rich V

Offline Rich V

• House Bee
Green as grass
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2005, 12:50:23 am »
Sorry about that,  Trail twister

Rich V.

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
Green as grass
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2005, 10:01:12 am »
one for me and one for my brother in law

Are you going to have both colonies in the same place?

I ask because two are better than one. :) A colony might swarm, or a queen die, or any number of things. Have a second colony means you can put in a frame of eggs/brood for them to raise a new queen (or keep them busy while you order one) or if you have a late swarm (like I did last year) you can combine the two for winter, giving everyone a better chance at survival.
Lesli