Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees in fall  (Read 7252 times)

Offline Butteredloins

• House Bee
Bees in fall
« on: March 31, 2018, 06:51:23 am »
I recently have been feeding my new bees sugar water of 1:1 and 2:1. They have nicely filled up 7-8 frames of honey brood and pollen. They are working on building wax comb on the final 2 frames. My question is a few. I have stopped feeding them sugar water as they have a lot of honey and it seems as though there is very little brood and lots of honey and uncapped nectar. Is it normal that they are laying less brood due to space, I feel as though the queen (who is alive and well) is laying less due to space?
Also coming into winter, I live on the east coast in wollonong. Can I add a small vent into the hive lid for ventilation, or will it be to cold for the bees coming into winter.
Also with all this honey it's tempting to add another box, but should I just wait for spring and let the bees do there thing and prepare for winter?.
Thanks everyone

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Bees in fall
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 08:48:21 am »
It might help your locals answer if you describe the whole hive.  What equipment and how many boxes, maybe what type of hive.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Skeggley

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 11:40:08 am »
I wouldn't be adding another box at this stage of the season. The days are getting shorter and cooler so the bees will be building stores and reducing laying room in preparation for winter.
But, as Ace said, see what others are doing in your area.
Bees do quite well ventilating through the entrance, all my vented lids have been propolized, it was their call and I didn't argue. ;)

Offline 220

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 03:57:44 pm »
My winters would be a fair bit colder than yours, all my inner covers have a small 25x10mm notch as a top entrance. Last year I gave them all a top entrance when I packed down for winter, there is a chance the lower entrance could be blocked with snow where I am. There are also claims a top entrance helps with condensation.
When I did my first spring inspection half the hives had propolised the top entrance closed  half were wide open. I will give them all a top entrance again this year and let the bees decide if they want it or not. A small entrance like I give them certainly isnt a massive amount of work to close off if they decide they dont like it.

Offline Butteredloins

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 10:30:54 pm »
Sorry I have a single langstroth hive box which is 10frames and is a deep. The bees suffer from chalkbrood and I thought the extra air would help out with that. They get heaps of sun throughout the day and are well off the ground also.

I just didn't want them swarming and thought maybe they could start building the second 10frame deep box in preparation for spring. I would remove it just before winter because I only want single brood box set up. but at least some work will be done so maybe they would have less to build in spring

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2018, 12:02:17 pm »
You could try to requeen.  Chalkbrood in the fall is not a good report.  Hope it makes it.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 06:51:20 pm »
It will be very difficult to find a queen in NSW in April.   :cry: I'm much further North and there are no queens left here  till probably September

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2018, 09:12:52 pm »
Don't let the Fall harvest fool you.  They might look like in an early Spring expansion mode but in reality it is
really a contraction mode preparing them for the coming winter.    So all you can do is to put honey supers on for them
to collect and then save the cap honey (do not extract them) for overwintering.    To prevent a late Fall swarm give them
plenty of room to harvest the stores.   Don't let them fool you....April fool!

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 12:35:34 am »

I recently have been feeding my new bees sugar water of 1:1 and 2:1. They have nicely filled up 7-8 frames of
honey brood and pollen.
If the sugar water is disappearing from your internal feeder it is most likey
what you have are frames loaded with sugar water, not nectar/honey.
Feeding bees sugar water/fondant/whatever in this Country is just plain wrong.
There is plenty of opportunity to take off frames of honey etc in those locations
_any_ feeding may be required during unforseen deatths.

I feel as though the queen (who is alive and well) is laying less due to space?
Exactly... doing the bees a disservice in holding back maintaining CM.

Also coming into winter, I live on the east coast in wollonong. Can I add a small vent
into the hive lid for ventilation, or will it be to cold for the bees coming into winter.
Anywhere any colony has to be able to control it's own airpath. That includes bring
 in "fresh air".. to keep it simple.
Skegs is spoton... bees will control the flow. Your CB is there very likely from poor
circulation of air. If no top vent is available, make one and mesh it. You can do this
 now with battery drill and spade bit, "on the fly".
I attach the ideal location.

Also with all this honey it's tempting to add another box,
Don't... that ship has sailed with your excuberant dousing with sugar water.

Lucks to the bees :-))

Bill

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2018, 01:35:17 am »
"Skegs is spoton... bees will control the flow"

More difficult if you have plastic foundation

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2018, 03:42:11 am »
"Skegs is spoton... bees will control the flow"

More difficult if you have plastic foundation

Carn't get a grip on your observation there, Skip.
You'll need to hold me hand on this one, to join
the dots, like :-))

Bill

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2018, 09:06:36 pm »
Yep, cap sugar is not honey.   You like to call it honey but they don't taste like it.  When dissolved in water there
is no cloudy water so it is not honey.   Sugar dissolved in water is clear pretty much.

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2018, 10:33:31 pm »
Yep, cap sugar is not honey.   You like to call it honey but they don't taste like it.  When dissolved in water there
is no cloudy water so it is not honey.   Sugar dissolved in water is clear pretty much.

:thumbs up:

Bill

Offline Butteredloins

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2018, 08:57:35 pm »
Thanks guys. Yes am aware that it's not honey and is definitely sugar as I've been feeding them that. I didnt want to give sugar water but since it was a new hive and I got it fairly late in summer they just weren't drawing out the frames and looked like they wouldn't be ready for winter. So I decided to give sugar water to boost there productivity before it starts getting colder and it definitely worked. I will drill in a hole for the chalkbrood, I don't need to requeen as she is a new queen already. See how they go. But will 5 frames of sugar water honey be enough to last them winter. Or should I keep feeding until they get more

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2018, 09:02:09 am »
I will drill in a hole for the chalkbrood,
I wouldn't.  There are ways to ventilate without ruining boxes.
The sugar water vs. honey is another heated debate.  Some will say it is better to overwinter and others will say it is worse.  In my area if a hive had chalkbrood in the fall it won't make spring no matter what you do.  Good luck.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Butteredloins

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2018, 07:58:40 pm »
I've heard that chalkbrood is quite common and most hives have at least the spores of it present. It's just whether the bees are healthy and strong or not whether U see the signs. Or am I completely wrong. Also looks like I will have to cross my fingers than for winter, I hope as long as they have food they can make it

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2018, 08:58:41 pm »
Chalkbrood is a brood disease.  Not normally a serious disease but any disease is detrimental in the fall (assuming a major dearth).  Mites transmit viruses which don't take their toll until the fall.  Same thing.  Basically a hive should be healthy if YOU expect it to overwinter.  That is why commercial operators will dust off weak hives or combine them to make strong hives for winter survival.  Dinks are not worth saving.  Guess what, nature does the same thing.  Survival of the fittest.
Just so you know most hives have the spores of AFB but only the unhealthy break out with the disease.  You yourself have a host of nasty diseases around you.  It is in your best interest to eat right, exercise, and maintain a healthy lifestyle rather than rely on the miracles of modern medicine to keep you alive.  But how many people do that?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Butteredloins

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2018, 12:11:38 am »
Well since this is my only hive I will have to just see how it goes since I can't combine them with anything else. They arnt the strongest but hopefully with our mild winters they might survive. Can only try

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2018, 12:41:13 am »
I've heard that chalkbrood is quite common and most hives have at least the spores of it
present. It's just whether the bees are healthy and strong or not whether U see the signs.
Or am I completely wrong. Also looks like I will have to cross my fingers than for winter,
I hope as long as they have food they can make it

The bees will be fine.
Your're on track, just make sure they get as much sun as possible in
your yard.
The 'Bird gets a tad excited flipping through posts and manuals seeking
answers to our problems. He means well and every forum has one so
go with the flow (pun). :grins:

Bill

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2018, 07:46:20 am »
Acebird
" Just so you know most hives have the spores of AFB but only the unhealthy break out with the disease."

I have read this before but is there actual proof of this? Where does the information come from?

anything