Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: AFB, Garbage, & Slaughter houses.  (Read 2319 times)

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
AFB, Garbage, & Slaughter houses.
« on: March 20, 2011, 02:43:09 am »
My younger brother decided to take the beginning beekeepers course from the Master Beekeepers program.
He came by today with a question.  Seems one of the instructor's (Dr. No Name) made the comment that surveys have shown that hives located near garbage dumps and slaughter houses have a much higher AFB rate than hives in other locations.  He said the instructor couldn't give an answer as to why.

I said, "You what that tells me?"

He said, "well it tells me that bees near garbage dumps and slaughter houses are foraging off animal waste."

"Maybe," I said, "But unlikely.  What is likely is that either the bees are foraging water that is contaminated with raw animal fluids, and/or the Wasps and Hornets, who readily forage on animal wastes and fluids are taking the infection to the bees.  Dining on raw meat one day and trying to rob a nearby bee hive of its honey the next."

I will try to get the name of the person who made the initial statement about AFB, garbage dumps and slaughter houses from my bother's class notes.

Mean while:  Discussiion is open.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
Re: AFB, Garbage, & Slaughter houses.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 03:17:26 am »
 Dont know about slauterhouses but there are a lot of junk hives going to the dump
in proper disposal of old beekeeping operations and such-interested to hear about the slauterhouses--RDY-B

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 08:30:01 pm »
I would like to see documentation or a study on that to prove it one way or another.  I think that it is false right off the top of my head.  Never heard about slaughter houses or even dumps.  I know around here infected hives are burnt not tossed.   

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 08:44:47 pm »
if seen alot of stuff go to the dump-sooner or later  :lol:  RDY-B

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 04:59:16 pm »
Assuming it is true, and I don't know that, I think it's doubtful it has to do with them getting infected since AFB is an obligate parasite of honey bees, not wasps or anything else.  More likely something they are foraging is creating a better environment for the AFB  which is already there, to flourish.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 06:31:14 pm »
Dont know about slauterhouses but there are a lot of junk hives going to the dump
in proper disposal of old beekeeping operations and such-interested to hear about the slauterhouses--RDY-B

The question was about bee hives sighted near garbage dumps not hives being tossed.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 10:24:13 pm »
of course it was  :) those are the bees foraging-robing propelis and cleaning up
 fouled comb that has been taken to the dump-any used bee equipment will attract bees
 and the poor soul that sets hives close to a dump is going to roll the dice if his bees are
 with in flying distance-still cant figure the saluter house -RDY-B

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 12:49:38 am »
Assuming it is true, and I don't know that, I think it's doubtful it has to do with them getting infected since AFB is an obligate parasite of honey bees, not wasps or anything else.  More likely something they are foraging is creating a better environment for the AFB  which is already there, to flourish.

Based on that - the AFB (bacteria? fungus? creepy crawly?) is essentially "usually present" in X# of hives; so a question for me is - what keeps their resistance high?
be happy and make others happy.