Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive Placement  (Read 483 times)

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
Hive Placement
« on: March 06, 2024, 10:35:36 am »
I have a spot that I'm eyeing up to park my hive(s). As previously discussed, it's on a knee wall with concrete pad to one side and grass to the other. I checked the sun's track and found a spot along that wall that looks pretty good. The only thing is, it is kind of close to a man door to my garage. Like within 10 feet of it. It's not the only man door but it is the only one on that end of the building. While it doesn't get much use, it does get some. I could face the hive(s) away from the door over onto the grass but I'd like to see what they toss out the front door. How much of a conflict would it bee to park the hive(s) there? Should I abandon that thought and park them elsewhere? If I move them up the wall away from the door, they'll lose their early morning sun.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Hive Placement
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2024, 11:11:39 am »
I have tried placing hives in different positions simply for experimentation and learning purposes. Personally overall, I like placing mine to the South.

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2024, 11:12:15 am »
I guess it depends on how much is not much traffic.  If the path to and from the door crosses the bees' flight path, it's a little risky.  I doubt it would be a problem with a colony of really nice bees, but unfortunately bees aren't always nice.  :wink:  Basically, if it's only you who is going through this door at not regular intervals, I think its probably worth the risk.  But if other people have to use this door AND you happen to not have the world's nicest bees, there could be trouble.         
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2024, 11:14:03 am »
I guess it depends on how much is not much traffic.  If the path to and from the door crosses the bees' flight path, it's a little risky.  I doubt it would be a problem with a colony of really nice bees, but unfortunately bees aren't always nice.  :wink:  Basically, if it's only you who is going through this door at not regular intervals, I think its probably worth the risk.  But if other people have to use this door AND you happen to not have the world's nicest bees, there could be trouble.         

Good point in Terris' case..
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2024, 11:34:41 am »
OK, thanks. I'll give it a go and see how it goes. If nothing else, I'll know better next time. :cool: I do have the means to move an entire hive if I need to.

Online Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2024, 07:38:45 pm »
seriously, I wouldnt even give it a second thought. Your not digging in those bees when using the door, they could care less if your using it 10 ft away from them. Now if for some reason you end up with a hot hive thats a different thread entirely.

I mean my grand-kids run and play not 3 feet from the entrances, and unless one gets hung in their hair its not an issue.