Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wax moth larva on IPM board.  (Read 2208 times)

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
Wax moth larva on IPM board.
« on: September 03, 2014, 08:05:40 pm »
I saw some larva crawling on my IPM board. Do they crawl up through the screen and get to the comb, or did the mother fail laying her eggs in the right spot and they won't make it. There was a cocoon around 1 and I should mention that my board has been half shut and it seems that the larva was concentrated in the area where the droppings were.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Wax moth larva on IPM board.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 11:40:33 pm »
The larvae are kicked out by your bees. They can grow in the pollen debris. When I leave my oil trays are dry, I clean them out at lease once a week.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 09:10:27 pm »
Jim, I don't have trays. Mine are just flat pieces of plywood with Vaseline smeared all over it. Should they be trays with a deeper liquid?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 10:45:10 pm »
Jim, I don't have trays. Mine are just flat pieces of plywood with Vaseline smeared all over it. Should they be trays with a deeper liquid?
If you can replace the board with an oil tray, the oil will kill the SHB and the larvae. You will need to make sure the bees cannot get in the tray, they will die also.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything