Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Sugar Shake went well but mad Bees  (Read 3578 times)

Offline labradorfarms

• House Bee
Sugar Shake went well but mad Bees
« on: August 12, 2014, 07:43:09 pm »
I did a sugar shake to drop the mite levels until I get my hopguard 2 in the mail.

Man you talk about some made bee's!!!!!! I only got stung once through the pants though...
Bee's were solid white...

The next day I went out and cleaned my oil traps..... I noticed a few mites along with some Hive Beetles. I think the sugar dusting got the Bee's mad enough to chase them into the traps along with making the mites fall to..

All and All I think it went really well.....
Now, I just have to hurry up and wait for the Hop Guard 2 and hope it works as well. As I have been hearing..

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Sugar Shake went well but mad Bees
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 09:55:21 am »
What is your mite count. You said you only saw a few mites after a sugar treatment. You really do not want to treat just for the sake of treating.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline SkipS

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 10:22:39 am »
I am curious to know your mite count also.  And if you do use the Hopguard, how it works.

Offline labradorfarms

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 08:51:33 pm »
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 11:37:50 pm by labradorfarms »

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 09:25:36 am »
I have noticed no detrimental effects with using PS dusting. not exactly sure why you don't want to just do it just to do it, frankly.It is pretty cheap and simple all and all, and works great when used along with breaking the mite breeding cycle with changing queens. As for the bees coming out totally white...I use a fair amount, but I do not use like a lb bag on them or anything.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 09:53:04 am »
I have noticed no detrimental effects with using PS dusting. not exactly sure why you don't want to just do it just to do it, frankly.It is pretty cheap and simple all and all, and works great when used along with breaking the mite breeding cycle with changing queens. As for the bees coming out totally white...I use a fair amount, but I do not use like a lb bag on them or anything.

B2B,
I was referring to using Hopguard2 not the PS. I tried it years ago. The instructions back then were to use a cup over the brood box. I used a sifter to get it real fine. The clumps do not help the bees except to piss them off when you knock them over the head with them.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 11:17:10 pm »
ah ok...roger that.

anything