Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Welsh black bees  (Read 3074 times)

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
Welsh black bees
« on: May 23, 2019, 10:56:43 am »
Anybody on here have any experience with them? Read a few articles recently and was pretty interested.  Are they available in the USA? I have family from there so I'd be very interested in some more information about them.
Take a kid fishing !

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
Re: Welsh black bees
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 11:00:46 am »
I don't think they are available in the USA. Only in the UK and Europe  :cry:
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 11:03:29 am »
I think so to Xerox....I wander if it's legal to ship just a queen to the states.
Take a kid fishing !

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 12:13:07 pm »
A person has to jump threw a lot of hoops to obtain permits for importation of honey bees, next to impossible.   Sue Colby imported queens last year in 2018 to diversify US honey bee genetics.  Mrs. Colby is world renowned, bee geneticist, professor in Washington, so she can obtain a permit.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 12:28:37 pm »
Thanks Arkansas,  I sent her an email.
Take a kid fishing !

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 03:23:25 pm »
FN,
If welsh black bees are anything like German Black Bees, that were originally brought here, I would not want to have anything to do with them. They are very aggressive.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019, 06:12:19 pm »
Jim, I have heard exact same about the original German black bee.  I believe the bee was introduced to the US in the 1920?s and was a nightmare to deal with: bees were so mean.  I do not know if they were ever called Welsh????

The main question I would ask: is there any pure breed bee in the US???  If they are yellow, I call the bee Italian, if Black I call them Carniolean but that just a name I impose to a mutt.  There is no registration for honey bees in the US.  I believe Poland is the only country in the world with registers  for honey bees.  Consider my knowledge is antiquated as I have not studied in a while.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2019, 06:52:44 pm »
Interesting
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2019, 07:23:22 pm »
Van,
According to Michael Bush, the German Black Bee is extinct in the US.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2019, 07:41:11 pm »
According to the U. of Arkansas, 6 or 8 years ago there was a pocket of them in central Arkansas.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2019, 08:45:16 pm »
I do not doubt that. Nature has a way of hiding species that the scientist say are extinct.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2019, 09:11:33 pm »
Exactly, Jim.  Off subject so I will be short.  The black footed ferret was considered extinct until a North Dakota rancher showed FP&W a pocket of ferrets on his ranch.  This was about the year 2000, not to long ago.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2019, 10:56:03 pm »
Exactly, Jim.  Off subject so I will be short.  The black footed ferret was considered extinct until a North Dakota rancher showed FP&W a pocket of ferrets on his ranch.  This was about the year 2000, not to long ago.

While we are at it, I would like to see an ivory billed woodpecker, also last  see in Arkansas?
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2019, 11:54:14 am »
>I believe the bee was introduced to the US in the 1920?s and was a nightmare to deal with: bees were so mean.  I do not know if they were ever called Welsh????

They were introduced to North America in 1622.

>According to Michael Bush, the German Black Bee is extinct in the US.

I'm sure I never said that.  But if there are any still around they are probably watered down a lot by now.  I used to see them in the early 70s occasionally.  Most people seem to think they are gone.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2019, 12:01:08 pm »
1622, oh I was close only off by 300 plus years.  BTW can either us say with certainty what year, or for that matter the specific species.  We can say honey bees were introduced shortly after Columbus, that would be accurate.

The following is cut and paste from the history of honeybees in the US.

https://beesource.com/resources/usda/history-of-beekeeping-in-the-united-states/

No one knows how many colonies or hives of honey bees were brought to the American Colonies by the first settlers. Nor do we know from what countries they came: England, Holland, France, Spain, or perhaps somewhere else? It is likely that after the early imports all increase was by natural swarming. Since we do not know how many colonies were brought to the east coast, we cannot determine the degree of inbreeding.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 12:46:02 pm by van from Arkansas »

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2019, 12:17:27 pm »
>I believe the bee was introduced to the US in the 1920?s and was a nightmare to deal with: bees were so mean.  I do not know if they were ever called Welsh????

They were introduced to North America in 1622.

>According to Michael Bush, the German Black Bee is extinct in the US.

I'm sure I never said that.  But if there are any still around they are probably watered down a lot by now.  I used to see them in the early 70s occasionally.  Most people seem to think they are gone.

When I was a boy my uncle ran across some black bees, I do not have a clue as to their pedigree. He found them in a duck box in a (very remote) area of a corp of engineers lake. The rangers wanted them out of the box for the ducks to use. These bees were very mean to say the least! He took the box home, as he was removing the bees, they stung dogs, neighbors, tried to get into the house, etc. He thought they were the killer bees that had been talked about so much at that time. He was so concerned that he Visited Tim Durham, The Walls Bee Man and talked to him about this. Best as I can remember Mr Durham assured him that they were not the killer bees but probably decedents of the Black German bee.

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2019, 01:44:46 pm »
That's interesting.  I watch a lot of Tim Durham. 
Take a kid fishing !

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2019, 02:48:16 pm »

I haven?t spent a lot of time with Tim but he lives about 5 miles from me as the crow flies. I bought pollen from him last year. He is real nice and an interesting man to talk too. Always glad to help if asked. I have said it here before but I will say it again just Incase you didn?t hear the story. Many years ago, while he was living in North Carolina. He got a call from a lady which had a bee colony set up house in her house. She called and ask Tim if he would come and remove it. When he got there he saw it was aunt bee of the Andy Griffith show. He said she was so kind and sweet just like she was on tv. That?s a true story.

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2019, 05:29:30 pm »

I haven?t spent a lot of time with Tim but he lives about 5 miles from me as the crow flies. I bought pollen from him last year. He is real nice and an interesting man to talk too. Always glad to help if asked. I have said it here before but I will say it again just Incase you didn?t hear the story. Many years ago, while he was living in North Carolina. He got a call from a lady which had a bee colony set up house in her house. She called and ask Tim if he would come and remove it. When he got there he saw it was aunt bee of the Andy Griffith show. He said she was so kind and sweet just like she was on tv. That?s a true story.
That's pretty awesome!
Take a kid fishing !

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2019, 06:10:32 pm »
I watch Tim on YouTube, Walls BeeMan or something like that.  Can?t miss that pink undershirt shirt and shorts.  He seems like a sincere fella on his bee videos and expresses knowledge.  He has a video wearing no protection, opens a hive and soon realizes a big mistake.  Kinda funny video.
Blessings

anything