Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Buckwheat  (Read 4340 times)

Offline paus

• Field Bee
Re: Buckwheat
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2017, 03:30:53 pm »
TAMU hubam clover website list yellow and white.  White is the better clover for bees, but they are working on improving the yellow Hubam.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2017, 08:09:34 pm »
 :embarassed:
TAMU hubam clover website list yellow and white.  White is the better clover for bees, but they are working on improving the yellow Hubam.

Yeah, like they improved the jalapeno :rolleyes:

No, really, I'm a fan of Texas A&M's research and the varieties they come up with.  The TAMU jalapeno provides restaurants with a reliable non-spicy chile for nachos and things, but it sure plays heck with me when I'm seeking good hot chiles.  The Maroon okra is another innovation I could do without, though, since it's the same as the green when cooked.  They should come up with a burnt orange variety for Univsity of Texas fans.  Or red and white for my own alma mater.(i'll let you guess that one).  Okay, this is just a couple of Texans here, trading jibes.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2017, 08:20:34 pm »
I guess the closer you are to Mexico the more you like to be Mexican but with a wall! between you.  I wonder if that wall would change your desire for Mexican food?  If you go to a Taco Bell in NY it is more like a sprinkle of paprika.  Maybe that is all they use up here.  Buffalo wings are way hotter then Taco Bell.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2017, 08:49:47 pm »
I guess the closer you are to Mexico the more you like to be Mexican but with a wall! between you.  I wonder if that wall would change your desire for Mexican food?  If you go to a Taco Bell in NY it is more like a sprinkle of paprika.  Maybe that is all they use up here.  Buffalo wings are way hotter then Taco Bell.

I lived in New Mexico for 13 years after going to law school there.  My food preferences were shaped more by those years than prior to that time.  But I ate my first chile  piquin ( a small wild pepper found in Mexico and the Soutwest ) at about the age of 4 and have eaten hot chiles ever since.  Taco Bell is probably a California thing.  I don't understand your reference to liking to be "Mexican but with a wall between you".  I lived within 10 miles of the Rio Grande for about 10 years growing up.  For us at that time there was really no border.  We traveled back and forth without giving it much thought.  I think maybe it's people who are distant from the border who are the cause of the separation of us from our Mexican friends. 
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2018, 10:01:39 pm »
Mr. Bush, I got them on amazon when it was still on sale.   After that the price went up
a bit.  The seller doesn't know how expensive they are on the other online sites.  Why do you like
the biannual (yellow) Hubam?    I like the silver river or the regular white annual Hubam better.   I don't
plan to alternative the plots anyway.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2018, 09:15:11 am »
>Mr. Bush, I got them on amazon when it was still on sale.

There isn't any now.

>Why do you like the biannual (yellow) Hubam?    I like the silver river or the regular white annual Hubam better.   I don't
plan to alternative the plots anyway.

The order of bloom in my fields in the early spring:
wild mustard
yellow sweet clover
white sweet clover

The finish in the same order.  I would prefer annual sweet clover to biennial, of course.  But I have not seen yellow sweet annual clover for sale.  I'd love to buy about 300 pounds of yellow Hubam seed.  Yellow blooms a few weeks before white.  White lasts a few weeks after the yellow is done.  The Hubam seems to last even longer than the biennial white sweet.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2018, 07:07:57 pm »
Got it Mr. Bush.

Here is a reply from turnerseed that I correspond with a few weeks ago.  "Hubam is currently priced $3 per pound and the silver river is currently priced $3.50 per pound. Shipping is based on weight and destination. 50# shipped to a residential address in zip code xxxxx (edited) would cost $52."

The shipping rate is almost the same to all lower 50 states I guess.    They also have the biennial yellow Hubam.  If you cannot find it then try
fedcoseeds to see if they have it.   Just like the Latsaw II station on the auction site they do go fast.   Guess the seller is sold out on amazon with that price.   I also have the wild mustard seeds that the bees like so the 3 will complement nicely. 
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 07:21:12 pm by beepro »

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2018, 04:46:23 pm »
The only price I can find on Melilotus indica (annual yellow sweet clover) is here http://highcountrymercantile.net/product/gopher-stopper/ and it's $3.95 per ounce or $39.95 per pound or $300 for 10 pounds.  That's $1500 for fifty pounds, the size bags I usually buy seed in... and I usually buy two or three hundred pounds of any one type of sweet clover seed at a time.  Usually two or three hundred of each yellow and white.  And then a few fifty pound bags of other legumes like alfalfa and white dutch and ladino and vetch and trefoil etc.  Did turnerseed say they have annual yellow at $3 per pound?  That would be in my price range. 
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2018, 06:27:04 pm »
That is too high a price to pay.
Try the fedco seeds for the yellow Hubam then.

No, turnerseed only quoted me the white Hubam because I'm interested in the annual for a faster harvest.
Now I see your point of extending the harvest season with the yellow too.   Since I have both I will try some
this season.  The white Hubam already sprouting with all the rains and a week in the ground.  You can contact
turnerseed to see when they will have the yellow Hubam available or order from fedco.   I'm not sure the yellow Hubam is
the same specie you are looking for?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2018, 10:07:07 am »
> I'm not sure the yellow Hubam is the same specie you are looking for?

The term "Hubam" generally seems to be used to refer to the fact that it's an annual (and refers to the person who bred the white annual).  I assume "Yellow Hubam" is just the yellow annual.  The yellow annual's Genus and species is Melilotus indica.  It's common name seems to be "sour clover".  I seem to find those two used mostly for the annual variety though wikipedia lists it as being either annual or biennial.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melilotus_indicus
-------------------

anything