Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Best way to print labels  (Read 1718 times)

Offline omnimirage

• House Bee
Best way to print labels
« on: December 15, 2017, 12:27:44 am »
I'm wanting to sell at local farmer markets, because I'm needing to find a way of distributing honey, but none of my products have labels on them, which I figure is needed to be able to compete with the other guys.

I'm really not sure the best way to print labels. The quotes I got from companies to print and then ship labels to me ended up costing too much: about $0.4 per label. I figure I need to print them myself. I've been told that I can buy these sticker sheets that work in a standard printer, avery was the brand suggested to me, seems like I can buy them relatively cheap in Australia.

Is there a better way of going about this?

Offline Psparr

• Field Bee
Re: Best way to print labels
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 12:44:43 am »
Avery works well. They have a website that helps you design them.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 02:00:43 pm »
We have been using Avary labels for years. I like the ones that go on the lids. I have had good feedback on the gold ones.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 02:45:22 pm »
We also have been using Avary labels for years. They are easy to line up in my printer and look great.
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 03:15:14 pm »
OM
Labels are available at Office Works, need to be able to refill printer cartridges yourself to really keep the cost down.
Finding the best program to design your label is a challenge, but once done you only change the type of honey, weight and batch.
You have to have a nutritional advice label, but they are the same for all honey, just change the pack size.

Offline omnimirage

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 12:11:15 am »
I haven't confirmed what the law is for selling at farmer's market (I think there is no labeling requirements there, or at least it doesn't appear to be enforced), but for selling it through commercial channels, it appears I need to have my name, and address on the label. I don't feel comfortable doing this, so because of so it looks like I won't be selling to produce stores and shops, that I'm going to rely on doing sales directly to the consumer.

For this reason, I wonder if it's even worth spending the money on the label. Unlabelled honey appears to sell fine, I did print some labels awhile ago and they looked good, but people didn't seem to particularly care either way, and it might be more profitable in simply saving that $0.2-0.4 per label.

Do you guys find that customers respond well to labels and it results in more sales? Can I raise the price of my product much if I put a good looking printed label on it?

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 08:22:56 am »
Can I raise the price of my product much if I put a good looking printed label on it?

I would predict that if you buy labels that don't bleed when they get wet you can charge twice the price of the label and sell more then if you print your own.  The label is a reflection of your business.  Selling to family and friends is different than selling to someone you don't know in the presence of competition.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline chux

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 12:57:51 pm »
I'm wondering what type of container you are packaging the hone y in for sale. What type of consumer are you marketing for? Why not tie a pretty bit of ribbon around the lid? Print the needed info on a small square of brown or gold construction paper, punch a hole in the corner, and tie it on the ribbon. That could be done cheap at home, and look rustic. You could run multiple "labels" off of one sheet of construction paper.   

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 12:33:59 am »
I just get mine at Mann Lake. The small ovals hit the 12 oz bears perfect, the mediums hit the Muth and the queen line nice.  Its like $10 for labels and the same for printing of 250. So figure $25 for 250 for easy math of a dime each. Get some yellow stickers for ?do not feed? and the gold for ?all real honey crystallizes? to add sparkle and some professional look and your in it a quarter each. For a rustic look tie a ribbon, jute or raffia around the neck to set them apart.
been looking to print my own but can not make it work for the initial cost. I don't know if you have a Mann L down under
Poor decisions make the best stories.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 03:09:15 pm »
If you print your own with labels from Office Works then the cost is about $0.05-7.
As I said previously, check your local regulations, size of pack etc , in Victoria it is regulated and we have local council officers around markets 3 or 4 times per year.