ALMOST BEEKEEPING - RELATED TOPICS > FARMING & COUNTRY LIFE

Mass kangaroo deaths

(1/4) > >>

220:
Thought this might be of interest
http://www.theland.com.au/story/5201186/mass-roo-death-shame-in-western-nsw/?cs=495

some very good points raised,

Acebird:
Out of site, out of mind.  The farmer is the only one to see it.  How does a farmer make a living in the desert anyway?

jalentour:
Wiki has a nice read about herd culling quotas and products made from kangaroo. 
My best baseball mitt was Roo Hide. 
It's a shame with world hunger being what it is that there aren't more commercial uses for kangaroo meat. 
It also seems that the Federal Government makes it a little difficult to harvest roo meat.
Does anyone know what kangaroo meat tastes like?

Locally, in my neck of the woods, the deer population is close to out of control.  In some areas tree saplings do not exist to renew woodlands.  Indiana has a pretty liberal hunting season but in my opinion it is not long enough.

Thanks for the link 220.

220:

--- Quote from: Acebird on February 01, 2018, 09:25:16 am ---Out of site, out of mind.  The farmer is the only one to see it.  How does a farmer make a living in the desert anyway?

--- End quote ---

After good rainfall it produces plenty of feed, most tend to stock what they can run in a average year and adjust to the season. While they might reduce numbers by 75% in a dry year the roo numbers stay the same until a event like the current one.
Most also make a bit of money out of the feral goats, goats have been bringing $5-6/kg dressed. The picture with the roos at the water had a few goats in the background, with the yards it almost looked like they were setup to trap goats as they come to water which is a fairly common way to do it.

Acebird:
So the goats are wiled too?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version