Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Overwintering- Is reducing the hive down necessary in all locations?  (Read 1798 times)

Offline threehives

• New Bee
Hi All

I have been thinking whether or not reducing my hives down to one or two supers for winter is necessary in my location, so i am going to do a bit of an experiment with a few of my hives, and leave some three supers high to see how they overwinter. I am in Wagga Wagga, NSW and we get pretty consistent frosts throughout winter with the average low of about 3 C and average high of around 15 C, we can get lows of about -4 C and high of about 22 C. The humidity in winter averages around 65-70%. Just wondering if anyone else has done this and what are their results?

Cheers Phill

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
Much mono culture farming/grazing around Wagga, eh Phil?
How long have you run threehives. Three seasons?
In my opinion 1 deep fully stocked where Winter has none
to little flows is best. OMMV.

Bill

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
If you have mild winters it's probably unnecessary to reduce a colony as long as it's a strong colony.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline threehives

• New Bee
I have all my hives located in the suburbs of Wagga (urban beekeeping) so there is usually something in flower during winter. The colonies I am leaving three high are all strong established colonies so hopefully they will overwinter just fine.

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
I have all my hives located in the suburbs of Wagga (urban beekeeping) so there is usually something in flower during winter. The colonies I am leaving three high are all strong established colonies so hopefully they will overwinter just fine.
Well maate, only you can know know 'cos urban beekeeping in
Australia is a world on it's own. Here the bloodwood is oozing
nectar, the first wattles are just finishing - dry as they are - and the
Stringybarks and maybe the Ironwood will follow in quick time, this
year.
Point being, we in Aussie are blessed if we have a yard close to
suburbia and also close to protected river systems.
Anything else beyond a half dozen colonys...?.. gather your swag
and buy a guitar, with some soulfull riffs thrown into the deal.
For you will spend many a night under the stars my Brother. ;-)))

Bill

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
I have been thinking whether or not reducing my hives down to one or two supers for winter is necessary in my location, so i am going to do a bit of an experiment with a few of my hives, and leave some three supers high to see how they overwinter.

What is your management plan for next season?  I suspect, I hope there is no queen excluder on these hives.  That being the case I would predict that the bees will not consume all the honey in each box.  They will leave much on the sides until they reach the top box.  During winter/spring expansion they will have plenty of stores to build a booming hive with the intention to swarm.  If you don't divide the hive in the spring most likely they will be gone.
A feral hive with no intervention from man does not reduce the hive in the fall and it surely swarms in the spring.
My primary purpose for reducing a hive is just to steal honey.  If I am not going to take honey I don't reduce it.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Van, Arkansas, USA

Threehives or Bill?????Wagga Wagga NSW.  Does NSW mean north south west?  Gotta mean something I am not familiar with.  Please enlighten me.
Blessings

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
Van;  NSW stands for New South Wales.  It is the state south of the state of Queensland and north of Victoria.  Wagga Wagga is south and west of Junee.  Now you have Threehives pinpointed!

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
Threehives or Bill?????Wagga Wagga NSW.  Does NSW mean north south west?  Gotta mean something I am not familiar with.  Please enlighten me.
Blessings
I'll give you the lot in one go Van... easier on us all, hey? :-)

Top to bottom by latitude - how you guys look at our Nation from "up there"...
FNQ - Far North Queensland, uppermost area of Queensland (QLD) and the "top" of Australia.
slng - Canetoads/Maroons (arch rivals of Cockroaches/Blues in Rugby League football
NT - Northern Territory
slng - Terrortorians/Pissheads (nice PHs)
WA - Western Australia, west coast of Australia  - all of it
slng - Sandgropers
SA - South Australia, southern coastline
slng - Croweaters
NSW - New South Wales, part of east coast and the origion of european settlement
slng - Cockroaches/Blues (losers to Maroons in Rugby League football)
VIC - Victoria, part of eastern and southern coastline
slng - Mexicans ('cos they are south of every mainland border)
TAS - Tasmania
slbg - Tassie/Taswegian Land, Apple Isle, Merkin Land ('cos it looks like a merkin on any map)
ACT - Australian Capital Territory, home of the political camps of Australia
and so the highest population of Drop Bears in the country. Always be careful
around microphones and TV cameras here.

There are more current claimed territorys, list is here;
http://Https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/States_and_territories_of_Australia

I trust I have not "muddied the water" further ;-))))

Bill

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
Van;  NSW stands for New South Wales.  It is the state south of the state of Queensland and north of Victoria.  Wagga Wagga is south and west of Junee.  Now you have Threehives pinpointed!

Wagga (locals don't use the full aboriginal naming) is well
spread out, big Town, like.
And anyway we (tinfoil poeliss) have the tube blocked at Pine Gap
so none of us (downunder) can be targetted by Donald's Dumphkoff Druids..
Hahahhahqhhahhahaaahhaaa

ooops, sorry :-)))

Bill