Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queen Cages in Nuc  (Read 1595 times)

Offline gunswayne

• New Bee
Queen Cages in Nuc
« on: May 07, 2018, 12:07:30 pm »
Howdy from southeast Texas. A little background,  I?m not a complete noob but it has been roughly 30 years since I worked bees with my dad as a teen.
 Fast forward to yesterday. I (with dad?s help) installed 2 four frame nucs into their new homes.  Everything seemed to go great and the bees are settled in and doing fine as far as I can tell.  I was not expecting the queens to be in cages. Just wasn?t something that crossed my mind when preparing for the nucs arrival.  My question is, when should I check up on them to make sure they get out? I wasn?t planning on going into the hives for at least a couple of weeks to let them get settled in.
Also, I wanted to thank each of you that contribute to this forum.     Your collective knowledge has helped a lot as I have prepared for this venture.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Queen Cages in Nuc
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 02:41:29 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster.
Sorry to see that you lost one side of that great looking rack.  :cheesy:
Go into a the nucs and look at the bees on the queen cages. If you can easily move the bees with a finger or a feather, I would open the cage and let into the hive. If they are biting the cage they are not ready.
By the way, you did not get a true Nuc. A Nuc should have 4 or 5 frames of bees with a queen that has proven herself by filling the Nuc with eggs and larvae. You basically got a package with some bees on frames and a queen.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 04:34:23 pm »
Welcome.  :happy:

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 06:18:06 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster.
Sorry to see that you lost one side of that great looking rack.  :cheesy:
Go into a the nucs and look at the bees on the queen cages. If you can easily move the bees with a finger or a feather, I would open the cage and let into the hive. If they are biting the cage they are not ready.
By the way, you did not get a true Nuc. A Nuc should have 4 or 5 frames of bees with a queen that has proven herself by filling the Nuc with eggs and larvae. You basically got a package with some bees on frames and a queen.
Jim

Yeppas... like that other fella over in "Downunder Beekeeping"... didn't get what was ordered, like ;-))

"Rack" pulled me up to post, Jim, as I diddun "get it"... it's only us old (bigger) guys that get
"manboobs". So I had to think on it... the "funny" didn't come easy, like.
When the lightbulb lit up the first thought was Wayne is a lucky guy the other fella with the 30.08
is a poor shot!! Hahahhahahhahhaaaaa

Ditto in Welcome, Wayne ;-)

Bill

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 06:48:11 pm »
I agree Jim, poor excuse for a nuc, the distinction between a package of bees and a nuc has been blurred.
A true nuc has a queen with her brood, grubs and eggs.

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 11:14:16 pm »
Jim (Master Jim)

Ditto, Master Jim explained very well, that is the difference between a nuc and a package.  100% AGREED

Man o man south Texas has some racks, along with huge price to hunt and bass lakes so loaded with big bass a fella has to hide behind a tree to bait his hook.

Blessings

Offline gunswayne

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 12:35:01 am »
Thanks everyone. When should I go back in to make sure the queens are free? I?ll make the best of what I have.
That shed came off of a 180? breeder buck at a south Texas ranch I was bow hunting javi?s on back in March.

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 10:16:57 am »
About 3 days after installation you can take a quick look to make sure the queen was released, or nearly so, then button it back up until your inspection.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline gunswayne

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2018, 12:52:46 pm »
Thanks, I?ll update with my findings.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2018, 02:39:49 pm »
Thanks, I?ll update with my findings.

Welcome gunswayne, I'm new here myself, and with similar experience.  I use to help my uncle with his bees when I was young, also.  There are some really nice and helpful people here. Wishing you the best with your bees 🐝!!  Phillip Hall "Ben Framed"
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline gunswayne

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2018, 04:32:49 pm »
Thank you Mr. Hall. I?m finding that the bee community is quite helpful. Refreshing in this days world.