Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My split made a Queen  (Read 1391 times)

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
My split made a Queen
« on: April 27, 2018, 08:49:01 pm »
The beeyard is looking up, the early split I performed about a month ago made a good looking queen. I spotted her yesterday while checking the hives. Found her on a nice frame of fresh brood so it's looking good for that hive. Not sure what is in bloom right now but also have almost three shallows of honey on the hives with more coming in. Planning on an extraction next week to free up some equipment and enjoy fresh honey. Hope everybody's hives are doing well.

Online cao

• Super Bee
Re: My split made a Queen
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 10:26:41 pm »
Hopefully I will be able to say that too in about a month.  I split 8 hives in my outyard into 15 and the 20 hives at home are in about 35 boxes now with a few more splits to come next week.  I've been busy this past week. :wink:

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 11:20:35 pm »
I made split in early March, a full double deep hive with an alpha queen.  No way was I to lose this queen to swarming.  The alpha queen is in a single deep and filling with brood nicely.

I gave the queenless split eggs, the queen never returned from mating flight, to cold.  I gave the queenless eggs again and now have a beautiful healthy laying queen.

So alpha queen is safe, split is queenrite, all is well.  I graft eggs from the alpha queen next week.

Ever so often, things just fall into place despite my entropy(disorder).

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 07:46:25 pm »
My 4 deep nuc hives are so full of new bees now.  I don't want them to swarm and the weather is cold and warm
one week from another too much fluctuation.  I thought about waiting until mid-May when the real flow is on.  But already the
2 top deep nuc boxes are full of nectar and some cap honey.   I cannot decide whether or not to add more cap broods from the
other hives or let them make their own broods.  Right now the queen is laying away.  I think switching to deep boxes instead of using the
deep nucs should give them some room for awhile.   
This is my first time using deep nucs for Spring hive expansion.   Each nuc box can be split to hive a bought queen.  I'm not ready to buy any yet.
Things are growing for sure.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 11:16:06 pm »
The beeyard is looking up, the early split I performed about a month ago made a good looking queen. I spotted her yesterday while checking the hives. Found her on a nice frame of fresh brood so it's looking good for that hive. Not sure what is in bloom right now but also have almost three shallows of honey on the hives with more coming in. Planning on an extraction next week to free up some equipment and enjoy fresh honey. Hope everybody's hives are doing well.

Wow Beenoy01!! You have been as busy as your bees!! Congratulations!!  Hard work is paying off!!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 12:03:07 am »
Pulled 5 gallons of a light colored sweet honey that had a moisture content of 17.5% which is great for Florida. The girls weren't in a good mood, got popped in my arm pit and once on the upper arm.