Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Langstroth Long Hive Modifications  (Read 4530 times)

Offline Charlies Farm

• Brood
  • Beekeeper on 1/4 Acre in the middle of San Antonio
Langstroth Long Hive Modifications
« on: May 01, 2016, 11:10:46 pm »
I've built a few 32 frame long langstroth hives lately, some for myself and a few for friends and I have been interested in the modifications that you can make.  We've added grips for the planks that cover the frames, internal feeders, vented roof planks, bug proof footings, roof rests, and a viewing window.  Additionally I am working on a queen excluder and a few other ideas.  The long hive is a great design for us because we live in the middle of San Antonio and have neighbors all around and I am able to get into the hive without creating a big disturbance for the bees (or my back).  I really do think this is the best design for new beekeepers and people who only have a few hives.  The viewing window is also nice because even though the frames block most of the view you can still see quite a bit of activity in the gap between the frames and the window and in the hive itself, especially if you shine a flashlight through the roof plank vent and look in the front window at night. The comb bursts with light and you can see them hard at work filling my foundationless frames..  The window is obviously not necessary but I love to look at my bees.  I'd love to hear about any mods that you guys are using or can suggest. 

« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 11:27:24 pm by Charlies Farm »

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Re: Langstroth Long Hive Modifications
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 12:08:41 am »
Welcome to the forum.  Those are some nice looking hives.   :happy:   I built myself a long hive this winter.  I plan on putting bees in it in the next few weeks from one of my splits that I made a few weeks ago.  I like your lid stops in the last picture.  I was thinking about putting a chain on mine to hold the lid up.  I may have to steal your idea. :wink:

Offline Charlies Farm

• Brood
  • Beekeeper on 1/4 Acre in the middle of San Antonio
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 12:18:08 am »
Thanks.  They are fun to build and look great in the backyard.  I did one with the chain and it kept getting in the way of the roof closing.  Just did those pieces that hold it up on the last one and it works great.  I love adding little tweaks to help make it as functional as possible.

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 03:03:41 pm »
These look great!  I really love those little covers so you're only opening a little at a time.   Nice!

I have a 22-frame long hive with a back window that I love.   My problem is that the bees around here want to build up not sideways and because of the weirdness of our local winters and the hollow we live in they really do better during the winter if they go up. So, I'm going to have to convert the hive to something else.   Maybe a series of 4 nucs side by side for overwintering?   Not sure yet...  But if I use those little covers and some really good follower boards it might work just fine.
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline Coach v

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 03:47:04 pm »
Hello, I really like your design. I am planning on building some long Langstroth hives this weekend.

I really like what I can see of your inner cover and your sloped lids. Can you share more details and pictures covering those?

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 09:02:31 am »
Very nice! I like the one in the first photo... you must be a carpenter!  :smile:

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

anything