Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: PLASTIC FRAME / FOUNDATION COMBO  (Read 4287 times)

Offline Kona Bob

• New Bee
PLASTIC FRAME / FOUNDATION COMBO
« on: February 26, 2017, 03:22:32 pm »
HI all

I bought some plastic frame and foundation all in one frames from nuplas. it seems i can fit 9 frames in my 8 frame box. i usually only run with 7 frames in supers so there is lots of spare room. does anyone use these frames. if so have you found the same thing with them being narrower than other frames. i thought the top wide section of lang frames was a standard measurement.
im also interested in how the bees take to the plastic. mine seem to be taking to it very slowly. but its been so bloody hot in west sydney for last month or so i think that has slowed things also
thankyou

Offline chorrylan

• House Bee
Re: PLASTIC FRAME / FOUNDATION COMBO
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 11:07:41 am »
hmm I think that means that someone at nuplas stuffed up when ordering their frames in from nz.
The new zealanders like 33mm wide frames but the standard here in Australia and pretty much everywhere else appears to be a 35mm endbar width.

If you can fit 9 in an 8 frame box the end bars must be 33mm wide (the internal width of a regular 8 frame box is 308mm so 9x33mm can fit with 11mm "spare" or 8x35mm with 28mm spare).

So far the plastic frames I've tried I haven't liked; partially because they were too thin (I need to measure but I think they`re even narrower than 33mm) and sag in the heat.
I prefer wooden frames with plastic foundation but coat the foundation with wax before giving it to them.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 02:51:32 pm »
I would run the 9 in the brood nest and 7 in the supers, but 7 only after they are drawn comb...

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfaqs.htm#framespacing
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Anybrew2

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 10:43:36 pm »
Yo, I have been using Nuplas Frames for a few years and I can only fit 8 frames in an 8 frame box. All my gear is 8 frame full depth. To encouraged the bee's to use the frames I simply get a chunk of Bee's wax and rub in over the frames like a wash board. The Bee's then will draw it out fairly fast.

Cheers
Steve

Offline chorrylan

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 05:31:39 am »
Yo, I have been using Nuplas Frames for a few years and I can only fit 8 frames in an 8 frame box. All my gear is 8 frame full depth. To encouraged the bee's to use the frames I simply get a chunk of Bee's wax and rub in over the frames like a wash board. The Bee's then will draw it out fairly fast.

Cheers
Steve
That suggests its just the latest batch that has switched over from 35 to 33mm... I wonder if it was intentional and/or if they even realise.

On the flip side I'm testing out a 4-frame poly nuc and I'm guessing the standard frame width  in Finland must be 33mm  as 4x 35mm frames is pretty squishy with a heightened risk of hurting the queen.
Maybe it's time to try out some of these nuplas skinny frames

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 01:11:52 pm »
If you have plactic and wax foundation, be sure to put only all wax in one super and all plastic in another super. When you mix them in the same box, the bees tend to ignore the plastic. This is why you used to here that the bees will not use plastic.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Andersonhoney

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 01:40:24 am »
Nuplas do 2 different frames. Yes one is in from NZ. I love them, if your into small cell, the cell size is smaller than nuplas locally made frame inserts. I've just started to switch over to them this year. I'll order another pallet of them this spring too. I can tell you how many more cells per frame if you like.then multiply that by eight then add in your extra frame in the same brood area that the bees have to care for and your along way in front.

Offline Kona Bob

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 05:28:58 pm »
I would run the 9 in the brood nest and 7 in the supers, but 7 only after they are drawn comb...

Yeh im running 8 wood frames with wax foundation in all my brood boxes which is standard but i just thought id try the plastic 1 piece combo in honey supers to see if they went better in my tangial extractor.

not sure if i did the right thing but i have put 9 plastic frames in 2 of the supers in the hope that they wont draw crazy comb all over the place because of excess room.

What do you reckon, leave 9 in or take 1 out and just have 8 frames in supers instead of 7 like i do with the wood ones

Offline chorrylan

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 06:51:24 pm »
Leave 9 at least until they start drawing all of the frames out. 
That'll make uncapping a pain so switch back to 8 or 7 for next time or if your timing is lucky.. after they get started the first time.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Offline Lancej

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 07:15:33 am »
Hi Vin, reading your post that you're going to small cell, I take it that you tried a few colonies? Very curious how it went. That's a lot more cells with 9 frames and small cell.

Offline Andersonhoney

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 03:31:29 am »
Amazed how much better it is Lance. A few important things to note with small cell that I think a lot of people miss.

Give it time to make a difference.
Frame spacing at 33mm. (Which means trimming the side bars of your existing frames)
Housel positioning. (Google it.  But basically there is a right and wrong way to position a frame around in the hive)
For those who don't believe housel positioning makes a difference autumn is a good time of year to test that. Take note of the way frames are positioned in the hive that you take out during winter pack down. Note those frames that are not filled out only on one side or foundation that is not filled out at all and frames either side are filled.

Then do your research during the winter and give it ago next season if you think it may be for you.

Offline Lancej

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 08:48:59 pm »
There is not a lot of choice regarding small cell equipment unless you don't mind Chinese wax. Will have to look into the plastic equipment. Thanks Vin.

Offline Andersonhoney

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2017, 06:35:46 am »
Next spring do some frames with just a starter strip of foundation.  They will get plenty wrong and make plenty of drone comb. So it's a long process.  There fore cull out as required.
  Look into it over winter and we can discuss it heading into spring.