Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Disappointment in the orchard  (Read 6709 times)

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
Disappointment in the orchard
« on: March 24, 2017, 02:38:27 pm »
We were cleaning up the orchard last weekend, pruning, weeding, and general cleanup and discovered that mice had burrowed under the mulch and girdled about 1/3 of the apple trees.  Some of the roots had been so badly chewed that you could pull the tree out of the ground with one hand.  The root looked like a carrot. 
We could see the tunnels the mice had used to get to the trees, otherwise they looked perfectly healthy.  Beautiful buds swelling up and getting ready to pop open any time.  The damage was mostly to trees we planted 3 years ago.  All of the trees had a 6' anti-deer fence circling it and a 12" plastic barrier to prevent rabbits from chewing the bark. 
So we will replant and propagate some of the plants and see what happens. 
Such a disappointment.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
Re: Disappointment in the orchard
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 04:59:49 pm »
That sucks. You don't think with heavy watering that the trees could make it?

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 05:32:20 pm »
That bites ... Sounds like you could use some feral cats.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 08:32:27 pm »
Don?t write them off! Get out there and bridge the bark of the tree, they only need a little bit to get the moisture up to the top.
Google Bridge grafting. 
I was just checking my grafts yesterday so you may be about 2 weeks late but see if you can find a tree in the shade of another tree or the north side of the hill and get out there and save those. All you have to lose is an hour of reading (or now U-tube), and half hour of grafting. 
Poor decisions make the best stories.

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 09:00:54 am »
Ouch!    We deal with deer, rabbits and cats scratching the trees to bits.  Would never have occurred to me that mice could be a problem.   
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 03:39:25 pm »
My out yard is on a fruit tree orchard and with the middle winter we had they all buded out then we had four nights of hard freezing in begining of march and killed all the buds. It's going to be  a ruff harvest. the only saving grace is that the clover he has in the field is blooming and did not get hurt.

john

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 09:31:02 pm »
Minz,
Thanks for the advice. 
I did google bridge grafting, I don't think it will work in this case. 
I'll try to upload images.

They were girdled about one foot above the graft to all the roots below the graft. 
Some trees have roots attached still.  I put Deer Away to stink up the orchard.  Gotten plenty of rain but I doubt they will make it when it gets hot.  Going to propagate what I can.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 08:34:26 am »
That is from mice?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 02:14:59 pm »
Although it's pretty popular one of the worse things you can do is pile mulch or whatever right against the trunk. You may have had it different. I use mulch but I keep it away from the trunk of the tree.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 06:30:47 pm »
My guess is freaking rabbits! I built some rabbit traps from the nursery guys trap they let me copy. Here in Oregon they are considered vermin, no limits, no season. Kill them until you can not stand it anymore.

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2017, 06:51:51 pm »
Rabbits are bad to girdle young trees, but mice and field rats will get em also. Not to mention woodchucks, moles any kind of rodent. I really feel for you, been there. :angry:
Neill

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2017, 09:36:39 am »
My out yard is on a fruit tree orchard and with the middle winter we had they all buded out then we had four nights of hard freezing in begining of march and killed all the buds. It's going to be  a ruff harvest. the only saving grace is that the clover he has in the field is blooming and did not get hurt.

john

I am in the same boat as you there. Blueberries were hurt a little. My figs and pomegranates are all gone.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2017, 09:37:30 am »
Although it's pretty popular one of the worse things you can do is pile mulch or whatever right against the trunk. You may have had it different. I use mulch but I keep it away from the trunk of the tree.

Yep putting mulch right up around a base of a tree is one of the biggest mistakes one can make when mulching. I am not saying I am perfect on it as often times the mulch gets shifted for some reason or another or I just get lazy.

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 02:56:05 pm »
I put 4" corrigated plastic pipe around my trees.  Mulch never touched to trunk.  If you look at the images you can see they ate to the top of the pipe.  They were completely safe from predators. 
This season I plan to wrap the trunks with something else and discard the 4" pipe.  Any suggestions?  I know there are paper and plastic products out there to wrap with. 

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2017, 12:14:31 pm »
j I have the same problem here in Central VA... I'm ringing the trees out 2' or 3' with daffodils, narcissus and garlic chives. So far so good. Plus it looks purty! The garlic chives make a solid mat of roots, that they don't burrow through. Plus they are a great late season bloom for the bees. Last season they worked them from early morning to dusk, while they pull off my buckwheat plantings at noon.

Offline CrazyTalk

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2017, 04:51:47 pm »
j I have the same problem here in Central VA... I'm ringing the trees out 2' or 3' with daffodils, narcissus and garlic chives. So far so good. Plus it looks purty! The garlic chives make a solid mat of roots, that they don't burrow through. Plus they are a great late season bloom for the bees. Last season they worked them from early morning to dusk, while they pull off my buckwheat plantings at noon.

That's what I do (daffodils - although I'm not sure whether it actually makes a difference) - it seems to be a big problem with first year trees. I've had less of a problem since I've added poultry to the yard. Chickens and ducks love them some rodents. My first spring I could basically pull half my peach trees out of the ground by hand.

I think it's largely voles that do this. I also started putting rings of hardware cloth (1/4") from about 6" deep to about 6" off the ground around young trees.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2017, 08:51:02 pm »
Feral cats will keep your trees safe.  Just don't feed them too much so they stay around but hungry.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2017, 01:09:47 am »
I had a couple of apricots that I lost a couple of years ago and cut the tops off.  Today I went out in the orchard and cut the bushes back to one or two nice limbs each. I was thinking of going to the local nursery and cutting 6? off of one of their trees (I only need about 4 or 5 buds). I may have to wait until the end of summer.

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2017, 11:07:13 pm »
You need a hungry Fe-lion. My wife's cat would never let that happen... We even feed her well. Unfortunately she has a bad habit of bringing them in the dog door and leaving guts on the floor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2017, 10:07:58 pm »
I have decided to let the feral cats live on my property, I usually shoot them.  Perhaps they will eat more voles and mice.