Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Freezing honey frames  (Read 1328 times)

Offline SouthAussieBeekeeper

• House Bee
Freezing honey frames
« on: February 14, 2019, 05:49:00 am »
I'm wanting to harvest some capped honey frames, but I don't wish to process that straight away. My experience with storing them, is wax moth ends up getting into it.

Can I simply freeze the honeycombs, to kill off any microeggs that might hatch into wax moth?

As a side question, I plan to let the honey frame to sit around for 2-3 weeks before processing it. If it's protected from insects, might there be a bad reason to leave it out for awhile? I can't leave it in the freezer for that whole duration.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Freezing honey frames
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 08:21:21 am »
Put the comb in the freezer for 2 days. Then place it in a protected area to let them warm up and dry out. If they stay damp from condensation, they will mold up really bad. Make sure they are warmed up before you put them in an extractor.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Freezing honey frames
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 08:49:02 am »
Only problem might be if they are not kept frozen they may crystallize.  And when you thaw them out they will sweat so make sure they are dry before spinning.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it