Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Does anyone have a Layen's hive?  (Read 7370 times)

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
Re: Does anyone have a Layen's hive?
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2023, 08:02:16 pm »
Bob, how many frames did you start with? I dont have a lyens but I am running double deep frames in a hive as an experiment. I installed a swarm on two singe deeps one over the other. one double deep on each side with empty feeders filling the voids. once good comb was started removed two feeders ( one was over the top of the other) added two more frames. Maybe too much room, just a thought.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2023, 11:45:28 pm »
I cut all the cross comb out, and strapped the larger pieces into the bottom half of 3 different frames.
Thankfully, I had a full Layens frame, which I had filled out with 2 large pieces of drawn langstroth comb, cut down to fit, and which was in a swarm box recently occupied. That will go a long way towards guiding the comb building straight.
Plus, they already started building the top area of the 3 partial frames again, and not too badly, so I was able to trim and straighten a lot of that out to match the pieces below.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2023, 08:32:00 am by Bob Wilson »

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2023, 08:34:44 am »
15thmember.
You not only have some long hives, but a Layen's also?

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2023, 11:30:30 am »
15thmember.
You not only have some long hives, but a Layen's also?
No, I actually use all medium langstroths.  But like I said, I've never used foundation, and I don't plan to start now, so I have experience working with wonky comb.  :grin:  I am interested in alternate hive types though, just out of curiosity really.  I always like hearing how you manage your long hives and now the Layens. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2023, 03:23:14 pm »
I also use foundationless since I started 5years ago. Never any trouble with it straight comb.
This Layens is going to be a little different from my long hives. De Layen's claim is 2 visits a year. One for spring set up, and a fall harvest /winter trip. I have a hard time believing it won't swarm.
I just reserved his book, "keeping bees in horizontal hives" from the public library. I look forward to figuring it out.

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2023, 09:48:00 pm »
So if you can figure out the management differential from Lillie France VS Georgia, you might be able to pull that off. I guess It would be tryin to figure out exactly how many frames need to be run. On top of a few other minor details.

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2023, 10:08:15 pm »
So now Im going to ask probably a dumb question. I traded off some 16" deep frames at beefest for 2 extra deep nuc boxes.
I hived a swarm that took up residence in a couple boxes of freshly waxed foundation. on those 16 inch deep frames. They are doing amazingly well, but how would I ever spin those frames???????

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2023, 05:05:53 am »
Bill,
I also started that double deep hive right after BeeFest. We won?t bee able to extract frames bt we could make cut comb with it them.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2023, 08:56:47 am »
They are doing amazingly well, but how would I ever spin those frames???????
Isn't the idea that the 16 in frames are for the brood nest and you would use mediums on top for honey?  Crush and strain for a dead out.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2023, 10:08:54 am »
See, I said it was probably a dumb question.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2023, 10:58:48 am »
Not a dumb question.  There are no dumb questions.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2023, 01:37:46 pm »
Yes, Ace,  that one was. I had a case of tunnel vision, was on a different page and wasnt thinking. Thanks though my friend for trying to raise my self esteem, but Im good.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2023, 09:16:45 pm »
I got rid of the wire in the frames and put a single dowel through the middle.
I plan on crush and straining the Layen's frames .
I couldn't find the queen in the Layens a few days ago. The swarm was a virgin swarm, I believe. Regardless, I wanted the nice, full Layens comb frame I used to bait a swarm trap, which did in fact catch a swarm. So 2 days ago I combined that swarm with the good frame, with the queenless swarm in the Layens.
Today, I finished putting both sets of frames together. It is looking strong, and they are filling out the Layen's frames quickly.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2023, 09:21:24 pm »
Bill and Jim.
So, I understand that you have built a double deep brood box with solid, double deep comb in the frames? 
That would mean the brood nest would have lot of room and a large honey band above for winter migration.
Then you plan on putting medium supers on top?

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2023, 10:33:15 pm »
Bob,
Yes that is the plan. It will bee a while before I can add a super. It was a small swarm that came from my observation hive but it seems to bee building up fast. They are working on five double deep frames and they only covered one frame when I put them in this hive.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2023, 05:57:53 pm »
Once I got the initial cross comb straightened out, the bees have been building straight since. There are 5 full frames and 4 half frames built it in the last few weeks.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2023, 07:53:15 pm »
 Bob,
I checked on the double deep hive yesterday they are building nice straight comb and filling up the hive fast. They are half way done with frame 6 and starting on frame 7. Not bad for a small swarm that started on March 7.
They did not touch the out side of frame one, it is a plasticel frame. The one next to it was a drawn plasticel frame. The rest are all foundation less.

Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2023, 09:18:23 pm »
Jim.
How many frames are in your double deep hive?

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2023, 08:02:41 pm »
Bob,
It has eleven frames. Probably why it is growing so fast.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2023, 09:11:08 am »
Bob I did not watch the video, but Jeff Horchoff of "Jeff Horchoff Bees" put out a video 3 days ago titled: "Let's talk about the new Layens Hive and anything else."

https://www.youtube.com/live/TA0lfx2hF8s?feature=share
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

anything