Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What solar fence charger would you use?  (Read 1783 times)

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
What solar fence charger would you use?
« on: April 11, 2012, 03:55:37 pm »
I'm shopping for a solar fence charger to deter bears.  I'm down to a choice between two: Parmak Magnum 12 MAG12SP OR the Zareba SP30 both low impedance, both 30 rated.  I guess this is a question for those who know about electricity and joules and such - which I do not!  The guy from Zareba says their joules rating is a true rating - whatever that means. And I've read good things about Parmak from beekeepers. So any input on this would be appreciated.
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: What solar fence charger would you use?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 07:01:59 pm »
Definitely the Parmak.

I have tried many fencers and have always been happy with the Parmak.   They have great service as well.   The one Zareba I had would not retain enough charge unless it got 8+ hours of direct sun a day.   I have had Parmak that have continued to work for weeks with the solar panel covered with snow.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 02:22:08 pm »
It hard to get a good jolt through a long haired animal so dealers will always try to sell the strongest they have.  It doesn't take alot of power to hit a wet nose, lips and tongue so what I do is take 2" strips of foil and smear peanut butter on one side then fold it peanut butter down over the wire every 10 to 12 ft.   The smell will draw there attention literally

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 02:41:23 pm »
Yup. That's the dilemma of an electric fence.  It's great if the bears never even discover your yard but the fence is there if they do.  Then the directions say to bait them with bacon or your method - with peanut butter.  So here they are discovering a dinner they might never have discovered and gambling that the bait will work and the fence will be working and give a big enough jolt!  I'd just rather they never come by the yard to begin with and have the electric ammo in case they do.
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 02:49:30 pm »
Robo,
There are Zarebas and then there are Zarebas.  Just like anything, it depends on what model and what power.  I was just curious if anyone had done or heard of a comparison of the two 30 mile, 12 Volt models I asked about.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 02:55:50 pm »
Robo,
There are Zarebas and then there are Zarebas.  Just like anything, it depends on what model and what power.  I was just curious if anyone had done or heard of a comparison of the two 30 mile, 12 Volt models I asked about.

Yes there are,  but when any of the models fall far short of what they advertise,  it puts any of their model claims in question.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 03:02:12 pm »
Robo,

Point well taken.  And your opinion is appreciated. But technology does march on.  Good to be sure and keep an open mind. 

Offline NJClydeDriver

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 03:14:19 pm »
I live in a black bear heavy area and have the Parmak Deluxe Solar.  Bears did test it fall of last year and have not been back since.  They pass it probably a few times a week, going to a dumpster food source, and they have not tried it again.  Because of the warm winter in the Northeast I didn’t take the battery out for fear they would get in once the temp dropped.  Battery stayed good and the unit has been great.  The 110 volt plug in Zarebas for my horses elec fence needed service after 6 months, BUT it did get fixed free cause it was under the 1 year warrantee.  So I have to say they do stand behind their products.  I would vote for the Parmak Deluxe and save a few bucks as well.  2 yr war on the unit.  I paid 166 and I see them now for 171 at Valley Vet dot com, the Magnum was 279 so save the 100 bucks, I know the one I have keeps them out.  :-D 
"To succeed, jump as quickly at opportunities as you do at conclusions"
Ben Franklin