Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Performance of Awassi Lambs’ Fed Agricultural Waste Silage  (Read 3818 times)

Offline dyadak

• New Bee
Performance of Awassi Lambs’ Fed Agricultural Waste Silage
« on: December 13, 2009, 03:47:16 am »
This research was conducted to investigate the utilization of silage made from some agricultural by – products (poultry manure, wheat straw, tomato) for the growth and finishing of Awassi lambs. Silage was made by mixing of poultry manure, wheat straw, and damaged tomato fruit at rates of 50, 25 and 25% respectively. Sugar was added to the mixture at 3 percent to increase the rate of fermentation. Six months later, silage was analyzed for its chemical and physical characteristics. These examinations proved the quality of the silage and it was ready for use in fattening rations. Twenty Awassi lambs were used in the experiment. Lambs were divided into four equal groups. The first group were fed a commercial concentrate (80%) plus (20%) vetch hay. The second, third and fourth groups were fed the commercial concentrate and silage at rate of 15, 30 and 45%, for these groups, respectively. Silage was used to replace hay and partial amount of concentrate. Lambs were fed their rations for 60 days on group basis and their daily feed intake was recorded. Lambs were weighed individually on weekly basis. At the time of termination the trial, three lambs from each group were slaughtered and eviscerated, weight of carcass, visceral organ gastrointestinal tract component, and content were recorded. The performance of lambs fed the 30% silage diet showed more yield than that of other groups. Average daily gain in lambs was 0.34, 0.33, 0.37 and 0.31 kg for lambs fed the control diet to 45% silage, respectively. Similar trends were observed in feed conversion ratios which were 4.8, 4.5, 4.5 and 5.3 kg feed/kg gain for lambs fed the control diet to 45% silage, respectively. The cost of gain was significantly (P < 0.05) the highest in lambs fed the commercial diet and the lowest in lambs fed diet containing 45% silage. Lambs fed diet containing 30% silage had heavier gastrointestinal tract components and contents. They had heavier (P < 0.05) weights of head and legs and longest small intestine, compared to lambs in other groups. Lambs fed diet containing 15% silage had the lowest weights of the measured items. However, lambs fed the commercial diet had the heaviest (P < 0.05) weights of the items measured.

Full Article

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
Re: Performance of Awassi Lambs’ Fed Agricultural Waste Silage
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 05:58:53 am »
did they do an analysis of the meat quality and (otherwise) health against a control group?
be happy and make others happy.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 09:44:45 am »
Perhaps if we knew exactly how the chicken crap was formulated before adding it to feed we wouldn't perhaps be as repulsed by the idea of adding it to feed. The idea itself seems contrary to logical thinking. On a small family farm/backyard farm why would anyone in their right mind decide to feedback chicken manure to any of their animals? You certainly wouldn't inject chicken crap into your holiday ham that you'd bake and serve now would you? Waste is great fertilizer it is not food.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 09:55:32 am »
I'd have to look into how complete the digestive process of a chicken is to see what components(other than lots of nitrogen) are conisdered beneficial to the lambs.  I can see how the high nitrogen content in the chicken manure would provide many of the nutrients needed for fermentation to progress vigorously, but 50 percent seems like a lot of poop :)  I can also see how the high temperature of fermentation into silage would kill all the nasty bacteria associated with manure, but I have to admit the idea still seems gross.  Although the idea of consuming manure is not unheard of in nature.  Some animals can get quite a good meal from going behind poor digesting herbivores like horses and eating their manure because a large portion isn't completely digested and therefore contains significant nutritive value.  As a gross side not rabbits fed on grass and other fresh green regularly eat their own dropping because like horses they are inefficient at breaking down plant material.  So they re-eat their last meal to get the rest of it's value, a primitive form of rumination you might call it.  Have fun and enjoy your breakfast :)
ad
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams