Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Frame dimensions  (Read 4335 times)

Offline charliesnike

• New Bee
Frame dimensions
« on: November 24, 2014, 01:46:00 am »
I saw a post somewhere recently about frame size.  The writer suggested that a shorter frame and more square configuration might better suit a colony of bees.  I'd like to reread that post or hear some thoughts on the subject.  I can't find it and am in hopes someone can redirect my attention.  Thanks for your help.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: Frame dimensions
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 05:39:37 am »
Shorter frames do give the bees more of a chance to re-arrange their winter cluster and that’s a good thing.  On big frames, the winter cluster can get broken up, or separated, if you get a real cold spell/hive and the bees start dropping off due to the cold/stores.  Shorter frames are lighter, but you need more of them to make a hive.  That's more expense and more time manipulating things.

On the other hand, some folks (myself included) believe the bees brood up better on larger frames and stick with the deep frames.  The winter cluster separation concern is easily solved with some insulation so IMO it’s not a big factor in determining what is “best” for a given bee keeper.  Obviously the bigger frames get very HEAVY if you have to pick them up.  That’s their main downside IMO.

There's lot of ways to keep bees and just about anything will work.  It really comes down to personal preferences and weight issues most of the time.

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 09:19:44 am »

There's lot of ways to keep bees and just about anything will work.  It really comes down to personal preferences and weight issues most of the time.

The secret to keeping bees right there!

I use mediums exclusively, but dont claim they are "THE" way to keep bees, they are only MY way to keep bees. I have not noticed any problems with amount of brood, and figure if the queen can cross ONE gap in two deeps she can cross the extra gap in three mediums.  As it turns out, the bees seem quite content!
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
Re: Re: Re: Frame dimensions
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 09:55:42 am »

The secret to keeping bees right there!

I use mediums exclusively, but dont claim they are "THE" way to keep bees, they are only MY way to keep bees. I have not noticed any problems with amount of brood, and figure if the queen can cross ONE gap in two deeps she can cross the extra gap in three mediums.  As it turns out, the bees seem quite content!

I only use deeps. Using deeps with long hives is convenient for me because I can take rough cut 1x10 and make a quick box without ripping. I will also concur that my way is not the only way. I will say this... If all your frames are the same it makes it a lot easier to move resources from one hive to another.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 11:31:37 am »
As far as the bees, they do well in any cavity that is large enough to store a winter's worth of honey and small enough to guard and keep warm.  They live just fine in hollow trees, soffetts, old dried up gas tanks in abandoned cars, abondoned water heater tanks, in crawl spaces, in walls that have a tiny entrance hole...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything