BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM.

Your Goto Method Of Detouring Wax Moths From Stored Comb?

(1/8) > >>

Ben Framed:
In your experience of storing comb, what are your findings through the years? What method or methods have you resolved to using to protect and prevent wax moth damage to your stored comb? ALL input will be greatly appreciated.

Brian MCquilkin:
Keeping bees in a warmer climate I would put the frames in a freezer for 24 hrs and store them in the supers with para moth crystals,
Here in Wisconsin, I leave them on the hives till October and then stack them outside in their boxes with a  board on the bottom and lids on top of each stack.It's like putting them in a freezer for 5 months with the winters here.

The15thMember:

--- Quote from: Brian MCquilkin on July 19, 2021, 09:51:45 am ---Keeping bees in a warmer climate I would put the frames in a freezer for 24 hrs and store them in the supers with para moth crystals,

--- End quote ---
I do the same with drawn blanks, but if the comb has any little bit of pollen or honey I put the frames in plastic bins instead to prevent drawing mice or other critters. 

Beeboy01:
I keep the frames in extra boxes, stack them in the corner of the shop on small moving dollies and treat with paramoth crystals about every three months. I don't freeze them before storage, just stack them and toss in some paramoth crystals. I was spending a lot of time digging through my equipment so I've started labeling the boxes as to what's in them like drawn comb, comb that needs replacing, foundation or naked frames. 

iddee:
I spray them with BT to keep cabbage loopers away from them, since it hasn't been approved for wax moths. It does work for wax moths, too, you just can't say it is for that purpose. :wink: :cool:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version