MEMBER & GUEST INTERACTION SECTION > THE 2ND AMENDMENT

Roger Stone | Full Address and Q&A | Oxford Union

<< < (8/11) > >>

Kathyp:

--- Quote ---It is the same as Nixon.
--- End quote ---

IDK.  there was enough evidence of obstruction of justice for a real crime that I don't think the Nixon impeachment was out of line for the times. FF to Clinton though, and he also engaged in obstruction of justice for a real crime and not removed.  It would have been interesting to see what happened to Nixon if he'd fought it out, but given the times, I think he would have been removed.

incognito:
The Clinton process taught me that impeachment is a political process, not a just process.
That result was disappointing considering the undisputed facts. A sad milestone for our country.
That result makes it hard to take this one seriously. This one will likely have the same political result. Trump is unlikely to be removed involuntarily, no matter what the facts are.

Michael Bush:
I think Nixon would have won out in the end and I think he knew it, he just thought he was no longer valuable as a president when they were spending all their time hamstringing his presidency.  He did what he thought best for the country, not himself.  Just like he did not contest the election when Kennedy won even though it was close and there was obvious voter fraud in Illinois.   
 He probably won if you throw out the fraud.  He thought it better for the country if he did not contest it.  So the president who thought the country was more important than himself, got us OUT of the Vietnam war, reestablished relations with China, started the EPA, ended the draft, started D?tente with Russia, stopped nuclear proliferation with an Anti-Ballistic missile treaty, negotiated a middle east treaty and all anyone remembers is Watergate and they don't even remember that the only involvement he had was trying to keep it from becoming public.  His reelection was the biggest landslide of the electoral college since Washington got 100%.  520 electoral votes to 17 for McGovern.  Once all the anti-war protesters die off he will be remembered as one of the greatest presidents in US history.  Of course he had to mess that up with wage and price controls...

iddee:
AMEN. Thank you, MB.

Kathyp:

--- Quote ---Once all the anti-war protesters die off he will be remembered as one of the greatest presidents in US history.
--- End quote ---

I think this is true.  Few presidents accomplished more and it has been ignored.  I am not sure that he would have won though.  That was a time people really did care about character and his was pretty damaged by that point.  We'll never know, but I agree that he put the country first by resigning, as did Ford by pardoning him.  Ford is another who is very under-rated. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version