BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > DOWN UNDER BEEKEEPING

Dead bees around hive

(1/5) > >>

TheFuzz:
There's a few hundred dead bees, mostly in a pile, near one of my hives, here's some photos:

https://imgur.com/a/sNhyVmz

The dead bees have been there for a few weeks. I moved these hives a few months ago. Here in Australia, the weather has been pleasant, it's been around 10 degrees Celsius and currently in winter. These bees are in the suburbs, there's no nearby farming pesticide usage. There's a long row of beehives here, but the pile of bees are just near one of the hives. All the hives seem to be active and doing well.

The last photo is of the hive that's directly adjacent to the pile of dead bees. There's some honey in there. The plastic and dried sugar is on there because they were starving at the location they were at, before I moved them, the plan has been to remove all that when spring time approaches. This hive I did notice when I moved it, had a high honey bee population considering it was a single deep super, and it was also particularly low on honey, more than the other hives were. If you notice that some of the frames look different than others, it's because at one point when the hive was very low on honey and before I moved them to this better location, I took honey frames from other hives and gave it to this hive, replacing their empty frames.

Any idea why there might be all these dead bees? Is it something I should be concerned about, or is it normal and fine?

As a side question, can you notice in the photo how the bees have attached frames together with wax? When I open a hive to inspect it, I often feel conflicted about properly inspecting it; I often conclude that, it's not worth harming and disturbing the bees, by lifting those frames, and breaking the wax seal by doing so. Is it good to try and not have such an impact on the bees, or is it important that I lift the frames to frequently inspect them, regardless of how much wax and propolis must have stuck them down?

Bee North:
Sorry to see that.
The dead bees....are their proboscis (tongues) extended? Im a newbee but from what i have read it may be poisoning, and that is a good indicator.
Are there live bees still in the hive?

Bamboo:
The Fuzz
Mate you can't tell what the problem is without getting into the hive and inspecting the frames. Wax on the top of frames like you have is perfectly normal. Basic rule with bees is a gap over 10mm they will build wax less than 6mm and they will propolise.
 Where are you exactly VIC or Sth NSW?
My suggestion is you need to do a proper inspection otherwise you are only guessing at the problem. Just because you are in the burbs doesn't mean that gardeners around you are not using pesticides, I can guarantee that most of them wouldn't know what is harmful to bees and what is not. If they have fruit trees they will be putting copper oxychloride or bordeaux on at this time of year both of which are toxic to bees.
By the look of the second pic there doesn't seem to be a decent population so you are not going to lose much by doing a full inspection, it is the only way to determine what state the hive is in and what the problem is or might have been.
Good luck.

ed/La.:
Looks like a dead hive to me. May as well inspect and see is there is a queen and brood. If yes perhaps transfer to a nuc with a small entrance. Maybe add a frame of brood if  one of your hives can spare it. If no queen you need to protect your comb. Freeze it then store it somewhere. I have had hives starve out and the bulk of the dead bees were in the hive. Never seen that many dead bees on the ground.

TheFuzz:
I looked at the dead bees and they didn't have their tongues extended.

I'm in South Australia.

I inspected the hive. Unfortunately I dropped a frame and didn't get to examine the rest of the hive as much as I'd liked to have. However, I did find there's a lot of honey and pollen in there, many thousands of bees, and I found a good amount of brood as well. Didn't find the queen or any eggs but I only got to inspect two frames.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version