MEMBER & GUEST INTERACTION SECTION > THE 2ND AMENDMENT

Wakefield Track & Field??

<< < (4/4)

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: Dallasbeek on February 19, 2019, 07:20:43 pm ---I used to shoot some black powder rifles, although I never got into that mountain man scene.  At BP matches, they shoot at iron plates suspended on chains.  We had one member they called Big Bore because he had a .70 caliber rifle and the bullet would frequently knock the gongs right off the chains.  I finally had the opportunity of shooting his rifle and found it quite pleasant to shoot, to my surprise. Not that different from a .50 cal., actually.  Black powder burns slower, so it gives the shooter a nudge instead of a blow like a sledge hammer.  In the case of his bullets, they were delivering the wallop where it counted.

--- End quote ---

Wow, amazing to knock the gongs off the chains!!

Dallasbeek:

--- Quote from: Ben Framed on September 22, 2019, 09:57:27 pm ---
--- Quote from: Dallasbeek on February 19, 2019, 07:20:43 pm ---I used to shoot some black powder rifles, although I never got into that mountain man scene.  At BP matches, they shoot at iron plates suspended on chains.  We had one member they called Big Bore because he had a .70 caliber rifle and the bullet would frequently knock the gongs right off the chains.  I finally had the opportunity of shooting his rifle and found it quite pleasant to shoot, to my surprise. Not that different from a .50 cal., actually.  Black powder burns slower, so it gives the shooter a nudge instead of a blow like a sledge hammer.  In the case of his bullets, they were delivering the wallop where it counted.

--- End quote ---

Wow, amazing to knock the gongs off the chains!!

I think you may have missed my point, Phillip.  A .45 caliber bullet has greater knockdown power than a .22 caliber bullet, even though it has a much lower velocity.  When I carried a .38 caliber revolver, I puzzled over what ammunition would be more effective ?- a round holding a 200-grain bullet or a lighter, faster round, such as a 158-grain Super Vel. I wound up alternating them in the cylinder.  I still am not sure which would have had superior stopping power, but believe a .38 special is inadequate for defense for most people.  Of course Iddee disagrees and stands by his .32 caliber.  Actually, one well-placed shot from a 22 short will do the job.  The number of rounds fired by police officers in some cases is appalling.  All those rounds that miss the target do hit something, somewhere and may result in far more damage than the perpetrator would have done if just left alone.  The officers need to slow down, breathe slowly and take very deliberate shots, but that calls for a lot more training than LE organizations are ready to provide.

I saw figures hat showed many, maybe most, soldiers in combat never fired a round.  We are all just humans, after all.

--- End quote ---

iddee:
"I saw figures hat showed many, maybe most, soldiers in combat never fired a round."

I would correct that to say,  "at the enemy.  While in "nam, we went to the range and fired monthly, but I fired few rounds at the enemy, and even then at unseen enemies. Never fired a shot at anyone I could see.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version