MEMBER & GUEST INTERACTION SECTION > THE 2ND AMENDMENT

Non-Firearm Home Protection

<< < (2/6) > >>

krista45036:
well-trained german shepherds and a baseball bat

BlueBee:
Anybody who’s ever been attacked by a dog, knows how effective they are!  Yes, I know that from experience  :(  No I wasn't breaking any laws, it was a friends dog.

Interesting ideas from the BM too.  I hadn’t thought about most  of those alternatives.

Snowhitsky:
Unless you are trained to use weapons my advice is don't even contemplate using one unless you have absolutely no alternative. One thing is pressing a trigger another is sticking or bludgeoning someone. Frankly, the odds of the average untrained civilian coming out on top against a criminal are not good even if he is unarmed. Don't be a hero, get out of the house through another exit and stay alive.

If you live in a dangerous area then you need to think about your house in terms of concentric rings of defence to slow down intruders. The longer they perceive it will take them to get in, the more likely they'll move on to easier prey.

1. Perimeter deterrents:  Fences, motion security lights, dogs. Prickly bushes under ground floor windows. Gravel paths around the house (makes a noise when you walk on it).
2. Windows and doors:  Put wooden shutters on all your windows and use them at night. Invest in a good quality door with proper locks and use them.
3. In house security:  motion alarm system for likely entrance points and stout lockable doors between the living areas and your bedroom.
4. Personal safety: charged mobile phone, torch, pepper spray and personal attack alarm.

The above should give you enough time to react to a break-in and get out of harm's way (through the window if need be and it's feasible). Make sure to keep footwear that is quick to put on (no laces) near your bed.

If you're cornered and have no choice but to fight, better get up close and personal with something sharp and repeatedly stab somewhere soft. The killer blows at arms length look good but rarely work. But I repeat, this is a last resort. It is almost always better to run.

buzzbee:
A small womans best defense against a large man with intent to harm is still a firearm. Joe Biden( Our vice president) suggested urinating on  a would be attacker.. That would be a big help.
 A man that gets away with a rape is likely to do it again. One that has been shot dead is not.

Dallasbeek:
That's Biden's answer to everything, isn't it?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version