Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Maxant 3100  (Read 2177 times)

Offline chux

• House Bee
Maxant 3100
« on: January 16, 2018, 12:39:11 pm »
Right now I'm running around 30 hives. I also do some extracting for a larger operation from time to time. I've got a motor-driven ten-frame extractor. I can uncap while spinning a load, and be ready for a new load by the time the first load is done. When a friend comes to help, we uncap faster than we can extract. I have an older hand-crank Maxant extractor that could be pressed into service. The basket has been modified to hold 6 medium frames radially, and the 3 other frames tangentially (9 frame total). I am considering purchasing a motor to convert the Maxant to electric (around $400).

Looking for some advice from others, so I can weigh options. Does the Maxant 3100 work well in the 9-frame configuration? I have heard some rumors that the drum is too small for efficient extraction radially, and that the frames are too close together for the honey to fall to the outside quickly. If you have run the Maxant 3100 in the 9-frame configuration, could you give some feedback, please?

Or...Would I be better off leaving the 9-frame Maxant alone and purchasing a larger 18 or 20 frame extractor with electric motor? I'm really unsure what to do at this point. I plan on running at least 50 hives in the next couple of years. I just don't know if the $400 now will end up being worth it in the short-term, or a waste in the long-term. Should I bite the bullet now and spend more for the larger unit?         

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Maxant 3100
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 01:12:35 pm »
I have heard some rumors that the drum is too small for efficient extraction radially, and that the frames are too close together for the honey to fall to the outside quickly.     

I don't have one of these but if the extractor is motorized a higher speed will make the extractor more efficient or apply more centripetal force on the honey because the drum is small.  Higher speed might not be attainable on a consistent basis with a crank due to fatigue.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 09:06:36 am »
Omni,
I have a 9/18 frame, motorized Mann Lake extractor. Unless you think you might get out of the bee business in the next few years, I would definitely recommend getting the largest motorized extractor that you can afford.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline chux

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 03:36:30 pm »
Thanks for the feedback, guys. After weighing options and reading lots of posts from you guys and others on the beek forums, I decided to go with the motorized Maxant 20-frame extractor. Just ordered it. Called to ask a question and was greeted by a very positive and helpful voice on their end of the line. I am confident that I am getting a high-quality product with high-quality customer support, to go with it. In line with what sawdstmakr says, I got the largest quality extractor that my operation can afford at this time. I'm looking to expand in coming years, and need equipment that allows for that growth. Looking forward to the day when I am running two Maxant 20-frame extractors.  :cheesy: 

Offline Waveeater

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 04:44:04 pm »
How about an update on your new extractor? Would you buy it again?

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 05:18:03 pm »
I have a treadmill that will make an excellent motor drive except it does not have auto ramp speed control.  If I ever get "A ROUNDTUIT", I'm going to try it.

Offline chux

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2019, 05:47:27 pm »
After using the maxing for a full year, I am pleased with it. I would order it again. Costomer service is outstanding. Quality is excellent. Seems bulletproof. I do have a couple of changes I wish they would make.

First, have the honey drain out of the bottom of the tank instead of the bottom of the sidewall. Before getting this unit, I was using a costume built extractor that had a pipe welded into the bottom at an angle. This was much better than the design maxant and so many others use.

Second, there should be a better design to simplify and speed up the process of removing the plate on top of the unit which holds the motor and belt assembly. The bolts are in a tight spot there by the motor. If I put the effort in I could probably figure a way to do it, but it would be nice if it came that way.

All that said, the unit is solid, quiet, and reliable. I'd buy it again. When I expand, I probably will buy a second one.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 11:05:51 pm »
After using the maxing for a full year, I am pleased with it. I would order it again. Costomer service is outstanding. Quality is excellent. Seems bulletproof. I do have a couple of changes I wish they would make.

First, have the honey drain out of the bottom of the tank instead of the bottom of the sidewall. Before getting this unit, I was using a costume built extractor that had a pipe welded into the bottom at an angle. This was much better than the design maxant and so many others use.

Second, there should be a better design to simplify and speed up the process of removing the plate on top of the unit which holds the motor and belt assembly. The bolts are in a tight spot there by the motor. If I put the effort in I could probably figure a way to do it, but it would be nice if it came that way.

All that said, the unit is solid, quiet, and reliable. I'd buy it again. When I expand, I probably will buy a second one.

Chux can I ask you. With 3o hives, roughly how much honey do you produce per year?  I realize different areas will have dolifferent results. I am hoping to have at least 30 or more by the end of this season. Maybe going into next season hopefully solid.
Thanks, Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline chux

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 03:43:50 pm »
Totals will vary wildly depending on many variables. How much honey per hive? Anywhere from 40 to 90 pounds.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2019, 08:46:30 pm »
Totals will vary wildly depending on many variables. How much honey per hive? Anywhere from 40 to 90 pounds.

Thanks chux. It would be nice to adverage 65? That's a lot in my point of view.
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline chux

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2019, 11:36:22 am »

If you are running 30 colonies, how many of those colonies are honey producing colonies? If you want to produce honey off of 30 colonies next year, you better go into the fall with 40 to 50 colonies of varying strength. Anything from full strength colonies, down to NUCS with young queens from late summer splits. Plan on being able to cover winter losses and still have at least 30 production colonies prepped to start spring. Run a minimum of 1 support NUC for every 4 production colonies. Why? You will lose a queen in a production colony, and giving them a mated queen right away saves valuable build-up time before flows. You can also replace any queen that isn't performing well. You can also take frames of capped brood from the NUCS and put them in your production colonies to boost numbers for a honey flow.

If you go into the winter with 30 colonies, you may get honey production off of anywhere from 10 to 20 colonies next year. Plan ahead for losses.