Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How come this only happens in Florida.  (Read 2528 times)

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
How come this only happens in Florida.
« on: March 05, 2007, 10:51:03 pm »
Listen there are 49 other states in this country. I demand those states start reporting more bee swarms.
http://cbs4.com/topstories/local_story_064160034.html
I said it before. Carl Hissan and Dave barry deserve every penny they get.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
Re: How come this only happens in Florida.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 12:36:40 am »
Sounds kinda heartless.  Almost as if they're talking about the bees as a menace, just indiscrimminantly killing them.  And, evacuating houses? I don't see how that's necissary at all. 

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 01:05:32 am »
So they cut down a tree, to get rid of a swarm that was probably passing bye anyhow. Does anyone think of calling their local bee guys?

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 01:24:54 am »
I think the beekeepers in Florida should get together and do something about educating those folks. Are people so afraid of AHB around there that they have to wipe out every bee?

I get calls all over Texas to come get the bees. So yeah there are swarms and there are ferals in and around houses. And we got Africanized bees around here. So they say. Ain't seen any as mean as they claim them to be.

Don't know what to tell you. Go to where these things take place, get on the bull horn and shame them folks by calling them chicken or fraidy cats or something.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline jerryc

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 07:41:55 pm »

« Reply #2 on: Today at 12:05:32 AM »
   Reply with quoteQuote
So they cut down a tree, to get rid of a swarm that was probably passing bye anyhow. Does anyone think of calling their local bee guys?
When I called around trying to find out about collecting a local swarm, I was referred to a list of names...They are all Exterminators. THere has been so much negative publicity on how dangerous Africanized bee are that many legisltures are getting on the bandwagon of passing laws that all bees not in ergistered hives must be exterminated.  Go figure.
Jerry

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 08:18:53 pm »
In Florida also because of the AHB in order to be a licensed bee removal person you must be a licensed exterminator. At least if you use any chemicals.

I have been doing cut outs but I haven't been charging for it and I don't use chemicals.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 09:28:36 am »
All of the fire departments there have been so well educated on how to deal with AHB that when they get a call for bees, they know how to take care of them.

But evacuating a neighborhood is way past unnecessary.

I suppose when somebody gets killed by AHB in florida it will that much worse bad press.

Rick

Rick

anything