Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Not new to forum but finally hope to have bees  (Read 4589 times)

Offline swflcpl

• My blog
  • House Bee
Not new to forum but finally hope to have bees
« on: October 15, 2014, 09:10:38 pm »
Been here almost 2 years reading and absorbing.

Back on September 3 I got a hive out of a water meter box and had bees for about 40 hours before they absconded (from a top bar hive that previously housed some bees that had also absconded for another beek).

So I built some langstroth boxes and got ready for the next time.

Well, Monday I was getting the irrigation system ready for the upcoming dry, growing season and stumbled upon this

It is an upside down tote covering the deep cycle batteries and the 12v pump. Not sure if it's the same group but good chance of it.

So now tomorrow morning another beekeeper and I will move them into their new home (and hopefully permanent)

Bobby

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Not new to forum but finally hope to have bees
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 09:19:08 pm »
I hope you have frames in that deep. They will draw intertwined comb in all directions if you don't.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline swflcpl

• My blog
  • House Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 09:25:05 pm »
It's a medium and there will be once I move them

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 10:50:28 pm »
One medium is pretty small IMO.  I started some nucs in them and the bees swarmed out in a real hurry.  Be ready with a second one and watch em.  Welcome and good luck and I wish I had your carpentry skills!  You do good work.

Offline swflcpl

• My blog
  • House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 11:00:12 pm »
Thanks!  It took for ever because I was very anal about stuff and made some needed jigs and make changes for new, different cuts takes FOREVER, again the anal thing comes in.  And then there's the research for stands and roofs, etc.. It all takes time..

As you can see from the first pic, I have 5 more waiting in the wings.  *IF* it's the absconders, they've only had 6 weeks, so can't imagine they have more than 4 or 5 combs drawn.  Plus, I know how much space is in there up/down and it's not much.  I'm actually scared to see what it looks like when I take the roof off, as it's not a nice geometric space in there :(

Bobby

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 02:13:46 am »
Oh no, do I see the dreaded “top entrance” in your photos. :-D  Some beeks won’t like that, but the bees will. ;)  Just be sure there isn't too much space between the top and the frames or you'll get a little more burr comb than you may want to deal with.

Very nice looking boxes. X:X 

Offline swflcpl

• My blog
  • House Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 09:12:23 am »
Thanks Blue. Yes, top entrance, 8 fr mediums :). There is between maybe 1/2" at the rear sloping to maybe 1 1/4" at the front

Offline swflcpl

• My blog
  • House Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 01:55:07 pm »
The elderly gentleman that helped me was not impressed with my choices. Foundationless-poo poo.
No landing board-poo poo.
No bottom entrance-poo poo.

When he had walked away from the transfer and went over to my wife he says to her "All beehives have a landing board."

They were A LOT smaller of a cluster than what originally absconded. Crossing fingers they hold up or I'll hear about not taking his drawn foundation as being their down fall.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 03:59:37 pm »
And he could well be right. Drawn comb is pure gold. It would advance them by a few weeks, and relieve their stress and work load tremendously.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline swflcpl

• My blog
  • House Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 04:31:04 pm »
Well I knew I had scavenged several foundationless comb from the previous cutout and had frozen them, so I knew I had a couple of extra frames to work with if I needed them. When would one put those in? Immediately? Near dark?

I still need to move them about thirty yards to their permanent location. Was going to do that this evening after any field bees might return. Still have no idea if it's the absconders, a swarm from them or a swarm from another hive somewhere.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 04:49:35 pm »
Put as many drawn combs as you have bees to cover, ASAP. Too many and the wax moths and SHB will take over.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline swflcpl

• My blog
  • House Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 05:29:53 pm »
I've been sitting watching for a good half hour trying to figure out what they are doing, not knowing if it is normal (or indicative of them sticking around.) There are enough bees hanging in the opening to nearly plug all but a couple of corner inlets and there is a lot of flight activity around the outside. When they were in the Rubbermaid tote all I saw was a couple of bees at the inlet, but then it was barley big enough for 1 bee to squeeze through. I don't what is robbers as we always have plenty of bees around our place on the bidens and now with the surrounding melaleuca.

You sure opening now won't upset their adjustment to the new place?

Also if I open and bees are barely covering what they have now, sounds like I wouldn't want to put more in?

Thanks for your help
Bobby

Offline swflcpl

• My blog
  • House Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2014, 05:41:27 pm »
Here is what they currently look like and there are about a dozen or 2 dozen always flying around and sometimes coming in for a landing. Don't look like field coming in with pollen.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2014, 07:53:18 pm »
However many non-comb frames they are on, replace those with comb frames.

The flyers are orientating to the new entrance, so they can find their way back home. If you see them fighting and tumbling to the ground, they are robbing.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline swflcpl

• My blog
  • House Bee
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2014, 08:36:11 pm »
There was at least one tumble I witnessed. All of the frames in there have comb, it's from the ones I just cut from their hive and rubber banded in. Now there are actually almost 2 extra frames in there of comb. Should I take those out now tomorrow?

He was referring to future frame needs and the fact I don't have drawn foundation for those. He doesn't understand my desire to be foundationless and letting the bees do what they want for cell size.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2014, 11:06:05 pm »
Check it in 4 to 5 days. If signs of wax moth or "numerous" SHB, make adjustments. Otherwise, let them alone. Check for eggs the same day.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline swflcpl

• My blog
  • House Bee
Not new to forum but finally hope to have bees
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2014, 08:41:57 pm »
I transferred 3 stragglers from a box sitting at the old location and put them in the new entrance. It smells of honey at the new location :( Last time they absconded I remember smelling a honey scent when I was near the hive. Not feeling good about them staying again. 40 hours is tomorrow. That is how long I had the last ones. Hoping to make it through the day.

Bobby

Offline swflcpl

• My blog
  • House Bee
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2014, 11:03:48 pm »
Still there this evening. Noticed a line of bees in the 3 or 4 inch wide entrance just enough back in the hive to only see their heads. Saw some bees still coming and going right at sunset. Nobody was back at the original location. Still smells like honey and when the wind was blowing just right this morning I could smell it 15 yards away and 10 feet up in the air.

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2014, 09:24:09 am »
look at our club web page http://www.palmbeachbeekeepers.com/

there is a video a bout feeding they in december and january. you will need a board the allow a bottom bottom feeder and an entrance reducer 

I think your like Hollywood area It would be a hall to come to the meetings

jay

Offline swflcpl

• My blog
  • House Bee
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2014, 10:25:13 am »
Thanks I'll check it out. We should have similar weather, yes. I think I'll stick to the meetings around here :)

anything