Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Drone laying queen hive with queen cell  (Read 1039 times)

Offline Sledin

• New Bee
Drone laying queen hive with queen cell
« on: June 05, 2019, 07:35:17 pm »
My buddy did a split in spring and put a new queen in, she appears to be a dud only laying drones.
But there is a queen cell on one frame,
Is the new queen going to be a drag queen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Drone laying queen hive with queen cell
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 11:27:12 pm »
These are the bees last ditched futile attempts for a queen.  It will never develop. This is the stage right before they stop feeding the queen, allow her to die, and then turn towards becoming laying workers.

You would be best to kill the queen right now and combine them with another queenrite hive asap.  Then in 10 days re-split them out and introduce a properly mated and laying queen.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Drone laying queen hive with queen cell
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 08:19:58 am »
>Is the new queen going to be a drag queen?

They will tear it down soon.  Give them some open brood right now and they may start a real queen cell.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Drone laying queen hive with queen cell
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 03:43:16 pm »
>Is the new queen going to be a drag queen?

They will tear it down soon.  Give them some open brood right now and they may start a real queen cell.

Mr Bush, You answered my next question that I was going to ask HP. I was going to ask if the fake QC  would hatch anything. Thanks to both of you.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.