Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: bait hive worked  (Read 2270 times)

Offline olehunter

• New Bee
bait hive worked
« on: June 03, 2019, 10:13:40 am »
been hanging out on this forum several years . wanting bees , too cheap to buy any. have built a top bar hive , tried for 3 years to get a swarm to move in . no luck . over the winter I built a langstroth hive from recycled hollow core doors . and some red cedar. baited this year with old brood frame from a neighbor and some scent lure from a  bee store. went away for memorial weekend and when we returned a swarm had moved in . sooo went to the bee store and bought a hat and veil and a frame feeder and a hive tool. they looked pretty tame going in and out . got suited up and cranked into the job . removed the super and installed the feeder, drilled a top entrance in the super [not on the hive] . got every thing back together . the bees payed me no attention whatsoever. I think I could have worked them in tee shirt and shorts. they have used 1 gal of syrup in 4 days and are now working on the second gal and bringing in lots of orange pollen,
I have 2 questions how long to keep feeding ? and when can I expect a new hatch to appear? :happy: 
to stand silent and be considered a fool or to speak and remove all doubt

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Re: bait hive worked
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 10:29:30 am »
Worker bees take 21 day to hatch.  As far as feeding, do they have nectar stored in their comb?  If they do then I wouldn't worry about feeding them. 

Offline ed/La.

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 02:19:32 pm »
What is nice about swarm in bait traps besides the price is they draw comb so fast. I  would probably feed for a short time longer to get as much comb as you can.   With little brood to take care of they have plenty of time to forage and draw comb. Be sure to put your bait trap back out. The best trick for bait hives is to put out as many as possible.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 01:07:13 am »
What is nice about swarm in bait traps besides the price is they draw comb so fast. I  would probably feed for a short time longer to get as much comb as you can.   With little brood to take care of they have plenty of time to forage and draw comb. Be sure to put your bait trap back out. The best trick for bait hives is to put out as many as possible.

ed you and Cao  give good advise. Thanks for posting. Phillip
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 02:05:10 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline FatherMichael

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 07:48:06 am »
Congratulations!

Your patience has paid off with a nice start.
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 01:53:31 pm »
Well done, can?t get a swarm to move in. I will keep trying

Offline ed/La.

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 05:02:42 pm »
You have to manually move them over to new box. Should be easy. Just do it.

Offline FatherMichael

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2019, 11:00:04 pm »
Had one out for two years with no takers; so, bought a nuc, which is doing well so far; plus now have added one more swarm trap to two put out earlier this spring.
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2019, 08:48:57 am »
I put out swarms traps from spring to fall. I have a cardboard Nuc box in my garage right now that looks like the scouts have found it and are about to move in. We will see today.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2019, 09:38:56 am »
I put out swarms traps from spring to fall. I have a cardboard Nuc box in my garage right now that looks like the scouts have found it and are about to move in. We will see today.
Jim Altmiller

Any catches are good. In years past, do you catch many from here on until fall, as an average
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2019, 01:50:26 pm »
>I have 2 questions how long to keep feeding ?

If they have some capped stores and there is nectar coming in, I would stop.  Otherwise they will backfill the broodnest and the queen will have no where to lay.  At best this will limit their growth.  At worst they will swarm.

>and when can I expect a new hatch to appear?
The eggs hatch in 3 days.  The workers emerge in 21 days...

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmath.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2019, 04:08:47 pm »
Olehunter, see how beekeeping goes?  You get two answers that point you in different directions on the feeding.  The important thing is they gave you what to look for.  What you see happening or not happening is so important.  Myself, I prefer not to feed because I want bees that fend for themselves.  If I don't help them and they make it until next spring then they are survivors.  You choose.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline ed/La.

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2019, 04:33:47 pm »
Where I live zone 9 there is a saying. A swarm in July let it fly. In July we have been in a dearth for a month with several months to go. So it was probably an abscond not a swarm. They abscond because of hive beetles or robbing or some other unfavorable trait.  The bees have little to no resources so you have to feed just to maintain. They probably won't expand until fall and that might be to late. At best you have a queen bank of questionable quality. I am sure it is different in cooler climates. I try to catch swarms between March 1 and june1.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2019, 09:40:17 pm »
Jim Altmiller

Any catches are good. In years past, do you catch many from here on until fall, as an average
When I lived in Jacksonxille, yes. There we have flows from December to late September with short dearth?s here and there depending on the weather. Spring swarms are much larger and more often.
I have had some good swarms in early September.
Jim
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 10:21:31 am by sawdstmakr »
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2019, 07:58:13 am »
Back where I come from a swarm in September is a suicide swarm.  That is when my friends would call me. :cry:
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline olehunter

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2019, 09:34:35 am »
maybe my post was not  clear the hive is a complete 10 frame langstroth  . will not be moving these bees

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2019, 09:45:53 am »
maybe my post was not  clear the hive is a complete 10 frame langstroth  . will not be moving these bees

Same good advice weather it is a 10 frame swarm trap not to be moved as yours of a 5 frame hanging in a tree which is to be moved.  Wishing you the best with your bees 🐝.
Phillip

Offline olehunter

• New Bee
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2019, 08:44:18 am »
thanks to all who answered  my posted question. good information and food for thought

anything