Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Different times of day?  (Read 1372 times)

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
Different times of day?
« on: June 02, 2019, 08:37:49 pm »
This morning walked down to check on hives. Normally I don?t go this early because of work. All the foragers were returning with pollen heavy at both hives. This evening I go down just out of curiosity and now neither are bringing in pollen. Do they normally bring pollen and nectar in at different times of the day?   

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Different times of day?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 10:42:54 pm »
That is a good question that I would like to know the answer to also.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 02:02:15 am »
Pollen and/or nectar are more available at different times of the day. The foragers will respond to peak availability times.

:smile:
Neill

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 07:27:23 am »
I notice much more pollen being brought in in the mornings than other times. I strongly suspect it is due to the nurse bees demanding it after a long night of feeding larvae and using up the pollen stores. Bees don?t just go out and collect food, the nurse bees tell the field bees what they need. In the morning it is a lot of pollen, then nectar, when it gets hot, they call for water. Quite often I see them again bringing in a lot of pollen.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 08:39:40 am »
I notice much more pollen being brought in in the mornings than other times. I strongly suspect it is due to the nurse bees demanding it after a long night of feeding larvae and using up the pollen stores. Bees don?t just go out and collect food, the nurse bees tell the field bees what they need. In the morning it is a lot of pollen, then nectar, when it gets hot, they call for water. Quite often I see them again bringing in a lot of pollen.
Jim Altmiller

Makes scene Jim, and to add with the harmony of things, it could be that the plants have time in the night to rejuvenate pollen lost the previous day of gathering.
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Northernbeek

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 10:53:34 am »
Typically in my area pollen is more prevalent between 10am and 2pm. I do often see my bees bringing in pollen after 2 but not nearly as many bees brining it in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 01:07:56 pm »
That all makes sense. Thanks.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2019, 02:38:59 pm »
Interesting Jim. I wondered about that, because a few days ago I was clocking only 1 in 15 bees bringing in pollen in the afternoon. I will check in the morning sometime soon to see if the nurse bees have upped the demand. I just assumed that the bees brought in whatever they could find, which was stored for later use, like we use a pantry.
I have gleaned an incredible amount of info from general websites and forums, but I have yet to read a good book on bee biology and life.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2019, 04:38:47 pm »
I have gleaned an incredible amount of info from general websites and forums, but I have yet to read a good book on bee biology and life.
I don?t know if you?d be interested, but I read a great book on bee biology called Honey-Maker by Rosanna Mattingly. It?s really more about bee anatomy than life processes, but it was a fascinating read. It?s only available direct from the publisher, Beargrass Press, if you?d like to check it out.
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

anything