Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Who Takes Down The Cells?  (Read 1620 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Who Takes Down The Cells?
« on: May 30, 2019, 06:42:04 pm »
In the case where, let us say, 30 grafted queen cups are placed in a starter, and the starter was properly checked and all queen cells were removed, but just one was missed, just one queen cell, and the cell hatched just a few days before the grafts, who took down the peanut grafted cells, the brand new overly looked queen, or the hive bees?
Thanks, Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Who Takes Down The Cells?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 11:58:35 pm »
The virgin queen killed them all and the workers removed them.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline ed/La.

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 12:08:57 am »
I was going to guess queen with help from her loyal followers. That's a lot of work for newly hatched queen With grafted cups cell protectors fit nicely. I would install them around day 12 or 13.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 01:05:05 am »
Warning, do not be drinking a coke when you read this or it might exit your nose. HAA HAA
Thank each of you for your replies. As you might have guessed, this happened to me.  A couple weeks ago. I had set up everything just so so and thought I had it right.  I set up the cell starter and waited four days, went through the cell starter and took down the new emergency cells, and let me tell you, I went though it with a fine toothed comb! (so I thought), then added the Nicot cups of fresh larva. Things were looking outstanding for a few days. Most of the cells had been accepted and were well on their way to becoming virgin queens. Man did they look good to me;  UNTIL,  my wonderful, celebrated, nice, new peanut shaped queen cells were cut down! I had the starter box so packed with nurse bees that I missed ONE CELL without realizing it.  Just a few days before my wonderful new queen cells were suppose to come out. Boom they were all cut down.. I am sure I had a strange look on my face! I learned another good lesson. From the University of Hard Knox!!  The consolation is at least I wound up with a really nice yellow queen. And a fresh new hive of young nurse bees and capped cells. THE HARD WAY   Hum. Haa Haa.
Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Who Takes Down The Cells?
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 03:05:00 am »
Yeah.  That sucks.  Sorry for your loss.  All it takes is one. The lesson learned is that when setting up the starter one must shake all of the bees off of every frame when seeking out those QC?s to stop them before introducing the grafts. Also do it again 2 days later.  Then put your grafts in.

Another method of setting up the starter so not having to worry about rogue cells is to setup a box of drawn comb, NO brood, and shake in loads of bees from the brood nests of multiple hives.  Leave the lid off for a bit so old bees fly back.  The youngest bees will stick and stay in the shook box.  Voila, there is the starter without any chance of a rogue virgin killing all your cells.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 12:01:59 pm »
I find all this interesting. What?s some good books or videos to watch on grafting.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 09:03:58 pm »
Lots of options and methods out there. 
One youtube fellow who does a great job presenting such material with incredible enthusiasm.  A real joy to watch. 
Goto YT and search for channel "Richard Noel Beekeeper". 
Get the popcorn.
Get your notepad ready.
Google cast Richard to your big screen smartTV. 
Enjoy!

When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2019, 09:12:20 pm »
You are right Mr Claude P., not only that, Richard is always happy to answer any questions that I have had for him. A really nice person. He really appreciates Michael Palmers teaching and methods.  In fact, he came here from France to spend  time with  Mr Palmer. Good Stuff!
Phillip

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2019, 12:03:28 am »
Thanks.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2019, 11:31:20 pm »
The virgin queen killed them all and the workers removed them.

Thanks Mr Bush
Phillip

anything