Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Classroom presentation guidance  (Read 1897 times)

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
Classroom presentation guidance
« on: May 28, 2019, 09:03:05 pm »
Looking for information and formats for classroom presentations depending on age. In all likelihood I will be doing some for little ones...1st grade etc and 5/6 grades as well as high school age kids. 

I was forced to buy a presentation nuc the other day after talking with the janitor for our local grade school.  She was asked to kill a hornet that was in a classroom.  She kept calling it a bee..I kept telling her it wasn?t a bee it was a hornet.  She then told me she didn?t want to get too detailed with the kids as they were just 1st graders.  She then had the gawl...lol...to tell me about a project the kids were doing with moths.  She said the kids kept calling them butterflies and she was quick to point out the difference between moths and butterflies.  I immediately tore into her about her hypocrisy.  I then said I can tell I need to start educating some kids.

Anyway,  just asking for suggestions or a good site with any information on this. 

Thank you so much for the help.
You are what you think.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Classroom presentation guidance
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 12:18:37 am »
If you are looking for educational materials to purchase, check out Hilary Kearney?s website GirlNextDoorHoney.com. She sells sets of educational posters with guided talking points and questions geared specifically for children. She also sells an interactive classroom game.
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 08:44:03 am »
I used to do a presentation for my wife?s pre school class every year. Keep it general. Use the hive pictures. Talk about what bees do for us. Show them what a queen looks like. Wear your bee suite and take an empty smoker and a hive tool.
I built a five frame observation hive with one frame in glass above the other frames, I made sure it is screwed together tight so that it cannot be opened by prying hands.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 09:03:46 am »
Here is a couple of pictures of it:

I have a feeder frame in it and I have sponges, soaked in water, in small trays, that I put in the bottom.
Notice the screw that locks the door closed. 😁
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 05:20:08 pm »
Very nice and looks beautiful

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2019, 05:42:27 pm »
Here we go again, Jim: stunning!!!  Walnut, tongue and grove, just beautiful wood that is finished to furniture class.  Remember, folks, we are talking a beehive, ya know, those hives in the back yard, rough, painted white and functional, a typical beehive.

Now look at Jim?s creation, ya call that a beehive, that walnut creation is a piece of art.  Just beautiful Mr. Jim.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019, 07:33:42 pm »
+1 to what Van said. ... Jim, you sure live up to your name.  :happy:
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2019, 10:23:19 pm »
Thanks all. This box is made from cypress.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2019, 10:40:58 pm »
How interesting. I have done elementary school presentations before, but not about bees, although they let me put a swarm box along side the school grounds.
A friend's mother just broke her hip yesterday in town, falling down because she was chased by "bees", which no doubt were yellow jackets. There really is a lot of education to be done. We newbees are on the frontline in that aspect, trying to convince our friends that we are not crazy and that bees are good.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2019, 11:17:49 pm »
More fine work. How long can they stay in something like that?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2019, 11:30:32 pm »
 Not long. Even with a frame feeder and water soaked sponges, in about three days they will start removing uncapped larvae. Probably because of a lack of pollen.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2019, 12:04:11 am »
Looking for information and formats for classroom presentations depending on age...
Here's something I used for children between 4 and 9.  The dashes indicate where I waited for their answers. When they had questions, I answered right away so they didn't forget their questions.

- Bees can live in the wild.  But for thousands of years people have also taken care of bees.

Bees make a nest called comb out of a kind of wax they can make from their tummies. When their tummies are full of nectar from flowers, and there?s no place to put that nectar, the bees will start to leak little flakes of a kind of wax. (Show a picture of wax being extruded from a bee's abdomen - this was a hit.  I printed a big glossy photo.)
And then they will build that wax into comb. But it has to be very warm to do that, about 90 degrees! So they hum and buzz in their hive to make it warm inside. Have you ever moved around to keep warm? - - -

Let?s look at some wild comb & comb from domestic bees. (Pass a piece of rogue comb and flat comb.  It only has to be 3 or 4 inches long.)  When you look at the difference between comb from wild bees and comb from domestic bees, why do you think people like to keep bees in a special box? - - -

When a place is very crowded with bees, some of them move out into a different place. We call that a swarm. Wild bees pick a place like a hollow tree or an empty box to move into.  The first thing they do is hold hands and put out wax from their tummies, to build a place for their Queen mother to rest and lay eggs for future bees.
Bees work together, and they need bees of all ages to make a successful colony.  Do you have friends of different ages? - - -

When they move into a new home it is spring or summer, and each bee lives only about six weeks during this time of the year. So they need to quick! start making more bees so the house can be re-filled with bees. 

Comb is the furniture and cupboards in the bees? house. It?s where they raise babies, where they store their food, and they can even crawl in empty comb to huddle up and keep warm.  So it can be like a bed. Would it be comfortable for you to sleep in your cupboard? - - -

Bees are hard workers.  They are always cleaning up in the hive.  They do not go to the bathroom in the hive. In winter, bees live five or six months.  In summer, they live five or six weeks. Most bees are female.

When one bee finds a place with good flowers, she can tell the others where that place is by a special dance called a waggle dance.  Other bees understand the message, even in a dark beehive. Most often, bees communicate with smells.

After many months of living in a new place, bees make enough honey to put some away at the back of their hive.  A beekeeper will take some honey because of taking care of the bees and helping them, but will always make sure they have enough honey to live on.

OK to touch and smell: rendered wax, bee brush, wild comb, managed comb.

Bees have many different jobs during their lives.   

(This may be copyrighted; I found it on Pinterest so it might be public.)
You can have many jobs during your life, too!
Even simple jobs are dignified and important.
   Cleaning your room, cleaning the house and yard
   Taking care of other people, cooking for them, and feeding meals
   Building things for everyone
   Watching out for safety
   Going to work to get the food and necessary things we need

Bees bring in nectar to make honey, for the colony, also water, pitch from trees, juice from mushrooms and moss, and pollen from plants.  That?s why they're so good at pollinating crops.  When they move from flower to flower, they bring pollen to the buds.  Then the buds can make the fruit or vegetable.  Do you enjoy doing things to help other people? - - -

Puzzle: Look at the real frame with honey.  Then look at the picture of a frame, and guess where the honey is. (capped) - - -  Can you find the pollen from plants on this frame in the picture?  - - - Where are the baby bees?  - - -  Do you like to take care of animals? - - - This is taking care of insects. But they are livestock, not pets. Bees are never really tame, like a pet can be.

Hope this helps.  Children respond to love and sincere interest in their thoughts.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2019, 01:25:19 am »
Not long. Even with a frame feeder and water soaked sponges, in about three days they will start removing uncapped larvae. Probably because of a lack of pollen.
Jim Altmiller

Thats good to know. Jim - Do you put a queen in there? ... or just nurse bees and brood comb?

... sorry for the thread hijack ...
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2019, 08:15:29 am »
Usually I just put one brood frame, no queen, in it the day of the class and then remove them after the class is over. When we do bee presentations for local fairs, we put 4 frames and one feeder frame in the bottom, and one brood frame in the top with the queen. There is a queen excluder under the top frame to keep her on that frame.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2019, 12:41:28 pm »
Thank you for that explanation Jim. Sure saves a lot of "learning".

Offline Hethen57

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2019, 01:07:26 pm »
I recently listened to a podcast on the Beekeeping Today Podcast entitled "DC Beekeeper Alliance/Urban Beekeeping" and the person from that club said a big part of their program is outreach to local schools.  She said that she would be glad to share any of their materials with other people interesting in talking with schoolchildren.  You might try dropping her an email...her name was Toni Burnham at DCBees@dcbeekeepers.org.
-Mike

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2019, 04:50:14 pm »
FloridaGardener, thank you for your detailed post.  Very well put together with details I might add.  Your time is appreciated.
Blessings

Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2019, 06:57:11 pm »
Thank you all
You are what you think.

anything