Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queen breed?  (Read 3742 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Queen breed?
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2019, 01:24:51 am »
@HP- Please don?t squish her in August.  Please PM me and I will send you a Canadian postage-paid overnight envelope. She can retire to Florida and putter around slowly for a few years. :cool:

I could build an outyard apiary consisting of 100% retired queens, and visit them on Tuesdays.  It will be a bee-tirement community.

Recon she could take the heat? She is use to the far North and cooler conditions. This would be from one extreme to the other. Might be a good experiment!
Are we allowed to import queens form Canada?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Queen breed?
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2019, 03:56:50 am »
No I will not squish her. Theresa gets respect and TLC.  She is now essentially retired. Her hive is primed and set to *pump it*.  I just put them out into the patch today, sending them into the flow.

What I was referring to wrt August is I fully expect them to naturally supercede her over the summer. This is actually the final stage, final test, of her colony. Will they replace her uneventfully without the hive missing a beat, without being set back in any way?  Will they bee oblivious of the chance for renewal and instead take an old queen into another winter?  I will not be in the brood nest again until mid August. So we have said our goodbyes. If she is still there and the hive still booming at the end of summer, well she either gets to wrap the calendar one more time - or maybe go to florida :)

Most queens I hive tool test proactively at end of their 2nd summer per my apiary program. The choicest ones, my breeders, are left to go on to retire and expire with dignity and grace on their own terms. This allows me to see their full cycle and fullest potential.

.... * pump it *, crank the volume. This is what I hear on a sunny day when the looking at a flurry of activity coming and going at the landing board.   
 :cheesy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psLjNy9-L_c

« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 01:51:40 pm by TheHoneyPump »
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2019, 02:55:35 pm »
Van,
I see Tiger striped queens quite often.
Jim

Yes Jim, I am sure you see the tigers.  I don?t believe I have a single one, out of 17 or so hives, 14 are Cordovan, 1 Carni, 2 typical Italians.  6/9, Sunday, more queens hatch, hopefully I will obtain more Cordovans.

Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2019, 07:41:27 pm »
@HP- Please don?t squish her in August.  Please PM me and I will send you a Canadian postage-paid overnight envelope. She can retire to Florida and putter around slowly for a few years. :cool:

I could build an outyard apiary consisting of 100% retired queens, and visit them on Tuesdays.  It will be a bee-tirement community.

Recon she could take the heat? She is use to the far North and cooler conditions. This would be from one extreme to the other. Might be a good experiment!
Are we allowed to import queens form Canada?

I may consider sending her to Florida if someone were to point us in the correct direction of the paperwork necessary for her to make the trip.  Where do we get her passport?

When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2019, 10:02:47 pm »
HP why will you not go back into the brood nest till August?

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2019, 10:33:27 pm »
@HP  -  I can work the passport out... will let you know.
It's so nice to hear you have consideration for your livestock. 

We have flying weather 11 months out of 12, so we gotta pace ourselves. She would be rolling slower down here...listening to:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pVrVY540xdc
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 11:52:27 pm by FloridaGardener »