Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Painting a hive's exterior  (Read 2777 times)

Offline for-all-love

• New Bee
Painting a hive's exterior
« on: May 23, 2019, 11:25:32 am »
How long should I wait (odors and outgassing) before putting the hive into service?

Offline StraferX

• New Bee
Re: Painting a hive's exterior
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 11:57:10 am »
I imagine you are going to get a variaty of answers however I would say it depends on the paint. Most new paints dry out pretty fast and we often paint a room and move back in the next day in our own homes. Does the label give any clues?  I paint mine with stormguard from lowes because I have a ton and set the next day with out issue.
As for me and my house, We WILL serve the Lord.

Offline LizzieBee

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 01:41:44 pm »
Definitely use non-toxic. I left mine outside for a couple of days after painting it.

Lizzie

Offline FatherMichael

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 06:36:04 pm »
Latex gasses off ammonia, which is neutralized quickly in a closed room by a bowl of vinegar.  Outside it is an issue for mere hours.
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Offline Bushpilot

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 12:06:27 am »
Since you are only painting the outside of the box, I would not worry about putting it into service after 24 hours.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 03:16:39 pm »
I agree, 24 hours is all you need for non petroleum paints.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2019, 11:59:59 am »
It's on the outside.  If you don't get wet paint on you if you touch it, it's fine.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline ed/La.

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2019, 04:39:48 pm »
I have repainted with the bees in the hive. They didn't care.

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2019, 04:56:34 pm »
I'll paint the boxes when I have time but have also used a box the day after painting, as long as it's dry to the touch it's usable, never noticed the bees acting different with freshly painted gear.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2019, 05:23:10 pm »
I have not had any noticeably or unexpected behavior while painting or even after the spruce up.  I USED WATER BASE PAINT. I like oil base for primer coat but haven't used oil on a live hive. On a couple of hives I probably could have gotten away with no protection.  I have glued openings with clamps, no problem.  Now adding screws with a screw gun is another matter, they hear or feel the drumbeat and come out ready to dance.  In 15 minutes they are back at work.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2019, 06:58:09 pm »
It?s good to keep the boxes painted (protected) from exposure. I suppose painting them with the bees in the box would be fine. I have yet to cross this bridge but have given it some thought .  I agree with Ed and Mr Bush that it can be done as is, with the bees in the box, but the whole purpose of painting is to ensure the longest life of the box as possible.  So I am thinking painting the outside is good but. Unless the edges (top and bottom) also receive this added protection. Which is the most critical part where rot may start due to trapped moisture. It would be best, though much more work to go ahead, break them down and do it right, painting the top and bottom edges. Sealing out the moisture where sealing is most needed? Just my thoughts.
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2019, 07:30:19 pm »
I have never intentionally painted the top or bottom edge maybe I should.  What is the conscience of readers

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2019, 11:47:12 pm »
I have never intentionally painted the top or bottom edge maybe I should.  What is the conscience of readers
It?s good to keep the boxes painted (protected) from exposure. I suppose painting them with the bees in the box would be fine. I have yet to cross this bridge but have given it some thought .  I agree with Ed and Mr Bush that it can be done as is, with the bees in the box, but the whole purpose of painting is to ensure the longest life of the box as possible.  So I am thinking painting the outside is good but. Unless the edges (top and bottom) also receive this added protection. Which is the most critical part where rot may start due to trapped moisture. It would be best, though much more work to go ahead, break them down and do it right, painting the top and bottom edges. Sealing out the moisture where sealing is most needed? Just my thoughts.
Phillip
My thought process is like Phillip?s, so I paint the edges of my boxes. Mold and water damage can really be a problem in my area, which is technically classified as a temperate rainforest. Also just as a picky visual thing, I don?t like if unpainted edges are visible if the boxes don?t line up exactly right, but that of course is just a personal preference.
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2019, 11:53:27 pm »
When you paint the top and bottom edges they glue together, no matter how long you let them dry.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2019, 01:37:53 am »
When you paint the top and bottom edges they glue together, no matter how long you let them dry.
Jim Altmiller
I have a block of beeswax that I rub on the edges of my boxes.  It keeps the paint from sticking.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2019, 02:27:19 am »
  A while back I painted the trim on the outside of my parents home. I noticed that the only sign of decay, was where the joints intercepted. This is the only place that these weather exposed boards had signs of problems. The most likely place that water and moisture of the exposure to the elements could be accumulated and making slow evaporation.  If boxes are stacked on top of one another with unprotected edges,  allowing a place for moisture to build and start problems from the outside, have to be susceptible to the same circumstances as the trim?  The inside joints of the trim, had never been painted allowing moisture to build and was obvious in the rotted spots, which was moist and spongy. I will not put a box out without painting the edges. I have not had a problem separating my boxes even stacked 4 deep heavily laden, at least no more than boxes glued on the inside by propolis. However, will say, I try to keep at least 10 to 15 boxes assembled and stocked with frames, ready to be used at a minutes notice. I have noticed my warehoused, preassembled boxes stacked in this manner, sometime need to be ''slightly'' bumped with a rubber mallet to separate them, which is easy enough, and, I have the comfort knowing that I have done all I can to insure that these boxes should last years longer than boxes with unprotected edges. Again, that is my take, experience, and opinion.
  Kamon Reynolds of Tennessee's Bees.  Has a video of hot wax dipping his boxes and explains the benefits and process of this practice. I am very interested in what he is doing, and perhaps looking to try this sometime in the future.
Phillip
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 02:50:48 am by Ben Framed »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2019, 02:38:56 am »
Cao
''I have a block of beeswax that I rub on the edges of my boxes.  It keeps the paint from sticking''

Cao, thanks for the wax edged tips. I will do this in the future on my warehoused boxes.
Phillip

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2019, 12:29:41 pm »

I always paint the top and bottom edges. ... everything but the inside of the box gets painted. Fwiw.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2019, 01:29:39 pm »

I have a block of beeswax that I rub on the edges of my boxes.  It keeps the paint from sticking.

Thats really god advice. Thank you.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Skeggley

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2019, 11:14:31 pm »
I?ve seen a few beeks use copper naphthenate to treat their hive bodies, especially in tropical areas where wood rot is common. Soaked or painted on inside and out then painted with house paint on the outside once dried and off gassed.
Thoughts?

anything