Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Nuc Happily Installed  (Read 4843 times)

Offline FatherMichael

• Field Bee
Nuc Happily Installed
« on: May 19, 2019, 03:07:30 am »
Not that the bees were particularly happy after a five hour drive but we are glad to get them into their new home by moonlight.

Will let them settle a couple of days and release the new queen if she is not already out by then.

It was a pleasure to do business with Gary and Tammy Rankin of The Bee Place at Somerset, South of San Antonio.

This trip included a tour of the Mission of San Jose, and a revisit of the River Walk and the Alamo.
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Nuc Happily Installed
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 08:11:45 am »
Congratulations on your new hive.
Did you move the bees into the hive in the dark?

Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 08:16:44 am »
How did you keep the bees cool for 5 hours?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline FatherMichael

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 03:39:03 pm »
Thanks, Jim!

Yes, we moved them in the dark but with the red beam of my EDC flashlight.

Orientation flights now in progress with some apparently already foraging.

I've never seen so many flowers in Texas as this year.  From the Panhandle to South Texas -- wildflowers everywhere.  Gary said he is barely keeping up with it.

They were with us in the air conditioned car, Acebird.

It was cool last night (50s) but having a very nice day today and the hive has a great Southern exposure on the long side.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 03:51:51 pm by FatherMichael »
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 03:59:07 pm »
Thanks, Jim!

Yes, we moved them in the dark but with the red beam of my EDC flashlight.

Orientation flights now in progress with some apparently already foraging.

I've never seen so many flowers in Texas as this year.  From the Panhandle to South Texas -- wildflowers everywhere.  Gary said he is barely keeping up with it.

They were with us in the air conditioned car, Acebird.

It was cool last night (50s) but having a very nice day today and the hive has a great Southern exposure on the long side.

Sounds nice all the way around. I would like to experience San Antonia......
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 04:27:13 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline FatherMichael

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 05:19:40 pm »
San Antonio is one of my favorite places, Ben.

The missions are a World Heritage Preserve along with sites like the Great Wall of China and the Pyramids.  The Alamo is not only the shrine of Texas independence but is an American story because people from all over the country came to fight the dictator Santa Anna, who violated the Mexican constitution and proclaimed himself the Napoleon of the West.  It  means a lot that so many came to fight along with Texicans, many of whom were of Hispanic descent, fighting side-by-side with Anglos.

It's a family town -- lots of children around.  Even on the River Walk people push their strollers, some of them doubles!  The restaurants are good and you can find any price range.

Not expensive for a vacation but gets hot in the summer.

Schlitterbaum water park and Fredericksburg are not far away.  Sea World is there.  Tower of the Americas there.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 06:15:53 pm »
Glad all went well. Good luck.

Offline FatherMichael

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2019, 07:17:06 pm »
Thanks, Nock.

It's 5 pm here and we're having a cool spring.  Orientation flights suspended and foragers are returning as the sun gets low in the sky.  Everything seems normal to me.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2019, 09:30:43 pm »
Fathers Michael congrats on the new hive.

Our FATHER special made the honey bee, just for us, unique it is.  Our FATHER knew we had a sweet tooth solved with honey and also we needed a container for long term storage of honey, so there is wax.  The only insect to produce food for folks.  The only critter in the world that produces wax to safely store the honey which was found in the pyramids 1,000 of years old, intact. The honey bee does not fit in the evolutionarily theme as taught in schools.  There is no predecessor to evolve from that makes wax and honey.

Yes, I realize the universe was created with a word: let their be...  However the honey bee is so totally unique that the bee deserves some special credit as an example of Creation that places unsolvable road blocks in the Theory of Evolution.  Evolution is part of the plan of Creation, you bet ya.  But the simple little totally unique honey bee demonstrates Creation first then evolution to maintain species. 

Nothing cleaner than a bee hive: no dust, no dirt, no mold, no mildew, no fungus, totally tidy little critters.  I might add they are 99 percent female which may account cleanliness.

Blessings
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2019, 10:10:17 pm »
Spot on. Great post^^^^

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2019, 10:17:26 pm »
I agree with Nock, good post Mr Van
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline FatherMichael

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2019, 01:55:22 am »
Amen, Van.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2019, 08:16:38 am »
I might add they are 99 percent female which may account cleanliness.
I think you have never cleaned a woman's rest room.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2019, 12:43:57 pm »
I agree with Nock, good post Mr Van

+1 great post.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline FatherMichael

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2019, 01:59:54 pm »
Queen successfully released.

Couldn't do it yesterday because of really bad weather.  Had five tornado warnings yesterday and last night!

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2019, 07:56:47 pm »
Smart move Father. Never work a hive with the atmospheric pressure dropping. Bees get very irritable.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline FatherMichael

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2019, 09:19:16 pm »
Smart move Father. Never work a hive with the atmospheric pressure dropping. Bees get very irritable.
Jim Altmiller

It was a close call today as the wind was up and still cool.  Waited until it was warm enough for them to fly and worked quickly just before noon -- narrow window.

I deeply respect those that work dozens or hundreds of hives.

How do they do it?

I wonder if there's a connection to the bees, like a calling, as I feel called to preach the Gospel.

Did you ever see that movie EULEE'S GOLD?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2019, 09:51:04 pm »
Father,
I think that once you start working with bees, they end up taking control of you. They are just so incredibly interesting.
No I have not seen that movie.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline FatherMichael

• Field Bee
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2019, 09:17:23 pm »
A lot of newly emerged brood taking orientation flights today -- a very good sign, eh?

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2019, 11:07:56 pm »
A lot of newly emerged brood taking orientation flights today -- a very good sign, eh?

Yes, I would think so!! Keep up the good work!
Phillip

anything