Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Robbing Screen ?  (Read 2512 times)

Offline Haveuseen1?

• New Bee
Robbing Screen ?
« on: February 27, 2019, 06:04:35 pm »
I have made my own robbing screens for my hives, making a copy of one that is available in the market.  I have made 6 of them, and then I began to wonder.  If all of my hives have the same robbing screen where they enter/exit from the same place would they still be as effective?  Rough description.  Wooden frame with a small entrance at the top facing up. Screen front with a metal shield covering the left side, and two entrance/exits that face the front on the bottom. All entrance/exits can be closed or opened.

Actually my daughter asked me why the bees in one hive with one wouldnt be able to figure out another hive with the same thing. 

Seems logical???

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Robbing Screen ?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 09:04:41 pm »
'Seems logical???''

I'm no expert, but yes, seems logical to me.  Again I don't know but maybe use the screen only when necessary, and then only?  Is robbing a big problem for most beekeepers?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 09:20:30 am »
Robber bees are in one mindset.  Local residents have a different mind set.  It will work fine.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 09:29:40 am »

Without the use of robbing screens, is robbing a common occurrence for most beekeepers?
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 03:08:14 pm »
Ben,  I'm only 4 yrs. in this so don't take this as advice.  I think alot has to do location ( how many nectar flows). Here in the sandhills of N.C. (depends on weather)  flow starts mid to late March and ends sometimes late June mid July.  When you go into a total dearth,  thats when it becomes a problem.  If entrances are wide open if you are feeding hives in the yard, if you are making nuc splits. Weak hives a very vulnerable.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 05:22:46 pm »
>Without the use of robbing screens, is robbing a common occurrence for most beekeepers?

It's common enough that I see at least some every year.  It's uncommon enough that I haven't bothered to make robber screens since I converted to upper entrances... but I keep my entrances small.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 05:34:28 pm »
Thank you both, Mikey and Mr Bush for your answers.

Offline Haveuseen1?

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2019, 06:00:24 pm »
One of my hives last year just never really boomed.   The other hive was 2 deeps and 3 mediums of honey.  The one hive seemed to just putter right along.  I put the robber screen on the weaker hive and it took off.  I think the booming hive was robbing the other hive keeping it on the edge.  The slower hive ended up with 2 deeps and a super of honey.  Could be coincidence. 

Offline drobbins

• House Bee
    • bee pictures
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2019, 08:02:53 pm »
I've managed to get by just using an entrance reducer to cut the entrance down to about 1/2 inch any time there's not a flow going on
It's working for me so far
They don't need much of an entrance when there's no flow

Offline ApisFlorea

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2019, 03:23:30 am »
Last year I lost all three of my hives ultimately to robbing.  They were weak to begin with (because of multiple beekeeper errors).

This year I'm hoping not to repeat the same mistakes.  One of the changes that I'm planning to make is to have anti-robbing screens added to all of my hives after main nectar flow.  Depending on how they perform, I may leave them on full-time.

I use top entrances and couldn't find any robbing screens plans for them online.

Here's what I've come up with so far.  For my 1/4"x1-1/2" entrances, using a 3/4" dowel, I round a 4"x8" #8 hardware cloth.  Then staple it to the top cover as shown in the attached pictures.  For 1/4"x2" entrances, I plan to use a 4"x9" piece.

I think this will work and hopefully this info will be helpful to others in the same situation.

Let me know what you guys think.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2019, 07:54:49 am »
Apis,
The reason a robbing screen works is that where the entrance is, is covered with screen. Robbers smell the entrance through the screen and keep trying to go through it. The bees inside work their way around the inside of the screen until they find the exit. They then orient to the exit point which is away from the actual entrance. Using plywood/OSB moves the smell to your new location sand defeats the purpose of a robbing screen.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline ApisFlorea

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2019, 10:04:39 am »
Using plywood/OSB moves the smell to your new location sand defeats the purpose of a robbing screen.

I understand the first part of your response.  However, I do not understand the part "Using plywood/OSB moves the smell to your new location sand defeats the purpose of a robbing screen.".

If all the other parameters of a robbing screen are met as you stated, how would OSB instead of wood make a difference?

Just trying to understand.  Thanks!

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2019, 10:17:35 am »
I think your idea will work out just fine for your top entrance.  I don't use top entrances but looking at your photos the screen should work just fine.  I think jim might be a little confused on this one. :wink:

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2019, 10:28:30 am »
From what I see, you have a piece of OSB instead of a piece of number 8 wire cloth. The smell of the hive will come out of the actual entrance and the robbers will find it. If you replace the OSB with number 8 wire it will work.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline ApisFlorea

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2019, 10:41:46 am »
From what I see, you have a piece of OSB instead of a piece of number 8 wire cloth. The smell of the hive will come out of the actual entrance and the robbers will find it. If you replace the OSB with number 8 wire it will work.
Jim
Perhaps the hole on top of the lid is causing the confusion.  The 1-1/2" hole is used for pail feeding and is plugged when not in use.  Otherwise the top entrance is covered by #8 hardware cloth.  Thanks for your comments Jim!

Offline ApisFlorea

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2019, 10:42:29 am »
I think your idea will work out just fine for your top entrance.  I don't use top entrances but looking at your photos the screen should work just fine.  I think jim might be a little confused on this one. :wink:

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2019, 10:52:51 am »
>Let me know what you guys think.

It should help.  If wide enough it should work very well.
-------------------

Offline ApisFlorea

• New Bee
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2019, 11:17:54 am »
>Let me know what you guys think.

It should help.  If wide enough it should work very well.
Sharp eye! The one in the pictures is in fact short.  Just wanted to show the idea.

Planning to have the actual ones around 9 inches wide (maybe more).  This should mean 3-1/2" to 4" on each side of the entrance.  Thanks for chiming in.

anything