Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: killing drones  (Read 2472 times)

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
killing drones
« on: January 30, 2006, 08:10:22 pm »
Why do bees kill the Drones?
kirk
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline ian michael davison

• House Bee
killing drones
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 08:37:57 pm »
Hi Kirk
Bees don't necessarly kill the drones unless they remove under developed bees from the cells. But in the Autunm they are expelled from the hive as surplus to requirements. As the hive approaches winter there is no need for them as there will be no virgin queens around for them to mate with. Drones are only supported by a hive in order to spread the colonys genes.

Regards Ian

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
killing drones
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 10:57:30 pm »
Unless your in an area that has mild winters with nectar and pollen flows in the winter.  Although the population of drones in the hives are reduced, they never disapear down here.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
killing drones
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 11:30:54 pm »
The drones are good insurance during periods where a queen could mate.  They are just mouths to feed the rest of the time.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
killing drones
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 01:09:56 am »
I have noticed that when night tempereture goes in August near 0C , several hives start drone killing.  Last autumn was very warm. Drones were in hives abnormally long time.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
killing drones
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 06:59:57 am »
The ferals, I notice, keep a few drones all year round.  There are still a few here and there in the hives, even in the nucs.  The Italians and the Buckfasts used to just massacre them all.  :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin