Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My Friend Tuff  (Read 9261 times)

Offline SiWolKe

• House Bee
    • www.VivaBiene.de
Re: My Friend Tuff
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2019, 03:14:08 am »
Nice video, thank you!

We live in a high-density area.
We have inherited a house that has 240sqm and is much too big for 2 persons.
Our property is 20km away and we depend on the car.
We will make everything to money and emigrate to Sweden, where we want to live modestly. There we would like to create a large self-sufficient garden in permaculture and keep bees.
We like Sweden because everything is very relaxed and without consumer competition and we need much less money than in Germany.
Our family members passed away or live in France.
We are free to decide where we want to live in old age.
I would like to become part of the Elgonbee breeding area,treatment-free apiculture is accepted and promoted there , although there also the EU regulations apply.
Below is the link from our visit to Sweden with our beekeeper friends.

http://www.elgon.es/diary/?p=1148

Offline SiWolKe

• House Bee
    • www.VivaBiene.de
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2019, 03:20:47 am »
This is how we want to live:

https://www.booli.se/annons/3318734

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2019, 02:33:09 pm »
What a wonderful story, Phillip!  Funny that this conversation about dogs should be going on, because my family just got a new puppy this past weekend.  Our family is also trying to create a self-sufficient homestead, similar to what you described in Sweden, Sibylle, (which looks wonderful, by the way) and we are getting goats in the spring, so we got an Anatolian Shepherd puppy who we are raising to be the goats' guardian dog.  He is a 12 week old brindle male, and he is just the sweetest thing!  We will be getting a female Anatolian puppy as well in a few weeks; she wasn't old enough to go home with us yet.  We are working on leash and obedience training, and he's practicing his guarding on our chicken flock before the goats get here.  We are also working on acclimating him to our other dogs.  One of our adult dogs doesn't like other dogs, so it's been slow, but we're making some progress even over just the couple days the puppy has been home with us.     
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline SiWolKe

• House Bee
    • www.VivaBiene.de
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2019, 03:12:37 pm »
What a wonderful story, Phillip!  Funny that this conversation about dogs should be going on, because my family just got a new puppy this past weekend.  Our family is also trying to create a self-sufficient homestead, similar to what you described in Sweden, Sibylle, (which looks wonderful, by the way) and we are getting goats in the spring, so we got an Anatolian Shepherd puppy who we are raising to be the goats' guardian dog.  He is a 12 week old brindle male, and he is just the sweetest thing!  We will be getting a female Anatolian puppy as well in a few weeks; she wasn't old enough to go home with us yet.  We are working on leash and obedience training, and he's practicing his guarding on our chicken flock before the goats get here.  We are also working on acclimating him to our other dogs.  One of our adult dogs doesn't like other dogs, so it's been slow, but we're making some progress even over just the couple days the puppy has been home with us.     

Good luck to you! How nice!
Well he must be tough to take up with goats so don?t pamper him  :wink:
What kind of goats do you get? Milk goats? I want to have a milk goat in sweden. Our Airedale terrier dog Perle will be her "sister". I hope it will work out they like each other or I have to purchase two goats.
Airedales are hunter dogs, but when Perle was a puppy our big white rooster Amadeus made clear who is the boss, so she is cautious when she meets animals.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2019, 03:14:26 pm »
>This is how we want to live:
>https://www.booli.se/annons/3318734

That's about $88,000.  That's not bad even for here in the midwest.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2019, 05:52:54 pm »

Good luck to you! How nice!
Well he must be tough to take up with goats so don?t pamper him  :wink:
What kind of goats do you get? Milk goats? I want to have a milk goat in sweden. Our Airedale terrier dog Perle will be her "sister". I hope it will work out they like each other or I have to purchase two goats.
Airedales are hunter dogs, but when Perle was a puppy our big white rooster Amadeus made clear who is the boss, so she is cautious when she meets animals.
It's definitely hard not to spoil cute little puppies! We have to remind ourselves to not let him get away with things that we don't want him to do when he's big.  Because our dogs will be guarding livestock, we can't play rough with them, because they have to learn not to roughhouse with the goats and chickens.  He's living in the barn, so the other hard part of course is that we have to let him cry at night until he falls asleep.  But he's already getting better with that too over the couple days he's been here, and he miraculously slept through almost the whole night on his first night, so it could have been a lot worse. 

We are going to get Kinder goats (rhymes with cinder).  It's a relatively new breed of goat, and a dual purpose breed, a cross between a milk and a meat goat.  We are planning on using them primarily for milk, but with goats you tend to have lots of extra kids as a byproduct of breeding for milk production, so we wanted the option to be able to use them for meat if we wanted to.  We also liked this breed because it's a smaller breed, so they should be easier to handle than a large breed, and we can have more of them.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline SiWolKe

• House Bee
    • www.VivaBiene.de
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2019, 02:41:26 am »
I googled the goat race, thank you very much!
This dual purpose. With goats I did not know such a race exists, I got chicken with such a purpose.
Good to know!

Offline SiWolKe

• House Bee
    • www.VivaBiene.de
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2019, 02:49:31 am »
>This is how we want to live:
>https://www.booli.se/annons/3318734

That's about $88,000.  That's not bad even for here in the midwest.

You know what you get for that money at my recent location?  Half a lot for building a home, or, if you are lucky, a brick garage.

A wooden new home on 400qm property ( you don?t get more) cost 400 000-500 000 Euro if you are lucky. A brick home more.

Michael, are you getting cold feet right now with your winter?

Offline blackforest beekeeper

• Field Bee
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2019, 04:04:41 am »
In the Black Forest you might geht building gournd for 65 Euro per sqm. Just had to judge the price of our house, so I got informed. In not-so-good-locations you might get it for half.
land is from 0,5 to 1,0 Euor per sqm. A really good forest would be 20000 Euro per hectar.

building costs are the same, though. So either do it yourself or be a millionaire to start with.
or be in debt with the bank for the rst of your life.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2019, 08:29:25 am »
>Michael, are you getting cold feet right now with your winter?

-14 F this morning.  Not record breaking by any means.  It was 8 F yesterday and will warm back up tomorrow.  I've seen -40 F every night for a month and a half back in the 80s.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2020, 10:08:49 am »
What a heart warming story. There is nothing that compares with a truly faithful friend, and that goes both ways.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2020, 12:13:53 pm »

If you want goats for milk study which breeds are preferred.  Both the breed and how you feed affect the taste of the milk.  If you can, try milk from different breeds and talk to the breeders about what they feed.

I would stick to the smaller breeds if you can and dehorn them.  I have two goats for brush eating and they are BIG.   The bigger one is around 150 lbs and very strong.  Fortunately, he's very nice and easy to handle!

You'll need good fencing and a hot wire on the fence will help keep them from trying to climb it.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2020, 02:53:58 pm »

If you want goats for milk study which breeds are preferred.  Both the breed and how you feed affect the taste of the milk.  If you can, try milk from different breeds and talk to the breeders about what they feed.

I would stick to the smaller breeds if you can and dehorn them.  I have two goats for brush eating and they are BIG.   The bigger one is around 150 lbs and very strong.  Fortunately, he's very nice and easy to handle!

You'll need good fencing and a hot wire on the fence will help keep them from trying to climb it.

Kathy, I do not think she post here any longer. That quote came last year Posted by: SiWolKe Reply #26 on: January 30, 2019, 02:41:26 am ?

This dual purpose. With goats I did not know such a race exists, I got chicken with such a purpose.
Good to know!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2020, 04:10:07 pm »

Kathy, I do not think she post here any longer. That quote came last year Posted by: SiWolKe Reply #26 on: January 30, 2019, 02:41:26 am ?

It's true, Sibyll doesn't post here anymore.     

We too have been using our goats to clear brush.  What breed are your goats, Kathy?   

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2020, 03:31:07 pm »
What breed are your goats, Kathy? 

I don't know.  I bought them off FB marketplace about 3 years ago and they were still young. If I had known how big they were going to get I might have been scared off, but it turned out OK.

If I think about it later I'll take some pics.

Breed = giant!   :cheesy:

The smaller one is mini horse size. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

anything