Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Clover in full bloom, not one bee  (Read 5850 times)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Clover in full bloom, not one bee
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2021, 11:54:10 pm »
Update, bees are starting to visit the clover. Not in large numbers but they started using it.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2021, 06:12:06 am »
Has the temperature risen?
We have white clover down here but is at its best as Spring warms up, October here, April for you??

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2021, 07:53:05 am »
Oldbeavo,
Yes it has but then it dips back down again. Last week it was warm, Sunday, the highs were in the low 50s all day and then we were in the 80s Monday and Tuesday.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2021, 09:32:38 pm »
Is there anywhere you can plant Carolina Laurel? It's native everywhere in the Southeast.  It needs no water. In fact, it's a little invasive where there IS irrigation.

It'll flower after two years, and grow 20-25 ft high in 4 years into a multi-trunked tree-shrub. 
It's covered with flowers just after red maple.  Absolutely dependable.  Birds eat its berries, and it self-sows.  Little disease on leaves.  Perfect for farmland.

We get a massive flow from it.  That's the flow that causes swarms right now.  I picked up swarms on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday this week. One was mine, where I missed finding QCs.  But I caught the swarm, and moved it 5 miles.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2021, 12:22:59 am »
Along with what was suggested above, there are other things that you can plant that produce much nectar. One for instance is Brazilian Pepper.  From the information I have gotten from a fellow in Florida, this is a major (big) additive for flow, Plus he says This plant makes an excellent honey. You might want to check into this and see if it meets your hopes? I looked this plant up and it does very well all the way up past St Johns, over to  Santa Rosa. I would think it would do well in your area. You might consider planting it in intervals along your fence line area? This way it would not really take up much of your pasture area? There are probably many other plants that will give you a greatly need boost in your area..... Just food for thought.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2021, 06:43:23 am »
Phillip,
Brizilloian Pepper is a highly invasive non native plant. Florida has been fighting to eradicate it for decades. We definitely do not want to be planting it here in florida.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2021, 07:01:29 am »
Oh well. So much for that.
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2021, 08:22:53 am »
Phillip,
Brizilloian Pepper is a highly invasive non native plant. Florida has been fighting to eradicate it for decades. We definitely do not want to be planting it here in florida.
Jim Altmiller
I spent a week cutting it down and pulling the stumps out a fence line.  No way to get it all.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2021, 08:49:25 am »
Phillip,
Jim Altmiller
I spent a week cutting it down and pulling the stumps out a fence line.  No way to get it all.

Spectracide when not in bloom will do it.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2021, 05:50:36 pm »
For a 50 ft tree?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2021, 06:02:43 pm »
For a 50 ft tree?

Up until now I did not know very much abort Brazilian Pepper except what the Florida Beekeeper said about good for bees. I just looked up a couple sites and:  Found in both shrub and tree form, it can often reach heights of greater than 30 feet.  So if in shrub form it should be easy to contain with Spectracide? Each to his own choices. I was trying to help since Jim seems to be in a bad spot when it comes to flow. I withdraw the recommendation regardless of nectar.😊

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2021, 06:16:22 pm »
Phillip,
The only reason we don?t have Brazilian Pepper here is that our winters are to cold. Otherwise we would have tons of it.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2021, 06:19:05 pm »
Phillip,
The only reason we don?t have Brazilian Pepper here is that our winters are to cold. Otherwise we would have tons of it.
Jim Altmiller

Have you done much investigating of other plants that may be of great help in your area? If so what did you find?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 06:35:04 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2021, 07:00:15 pm »
Spiraea is a great bush for bees, drought resistant and solid bloom in Spring.  A bit off subject, hope you don?t mind Mr. Jim.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2021, 07:48:18 pm »
I second that motion on spirea.  Bridal wreath spirea is absolutely gorgeous and fragrant too.  Can take the acidic soils of pinelands.

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fp558

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fp558

Needs space -
Height: 4 to 8 feet
Spread: 4 to 8 feet

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2021, 08:42:52 pm »
We have planted a lot of fruit trees over the years, very few have survived. Most of our property is used for grazing. We have to bee careful about what we plant. Many plants are poisonous to cows and horses. I had to bush hog 37 acres to kill a lot of rattlebox, I just fenced in last year, and wait for it to die before I could let the cows on it. I was letting it grow for the bees until I found out that it was poisonous to animals. They will definitely eat it and in 30 days of eating it they will die. Most trees planted in the fields never make it because the cows and horses eat them.
Jim Altmiller
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 10:24:51 am by sawdstmakr »
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2021, 08:26:27 am »
For a 50 ft tree?

Up until now I did not know very much abort Brazilian Pepper except what the Florida Beekeeper said about good for bees.
Southern FL is a different world.  The only thing close to it in the US is Hawaii.  And like Hawaii it has a lot of invasive species that are not natural to the landscape.  Pretty much the best you can do is contain it.  You will never eradicate it.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2021, 10:46:55 am »
Jim, try Wisteria it provides good forage for your bees, grows well and easily maintained. mine is alive with swarms of bees every year. The 1st bloom is just about over. depending on weather conditions,  some years it blooms twice although not as hard the second round.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2021, 12:24:20 pm »
Bill,
Yesterday I found several wisteria bushes in bloom on the property that I just added last month.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2021, 05:11:58 pm »
Jim, Something else I planted were wild oranges, completely inedible. I know that sounds weird but they do well with the frost, bloom every year, dont look to bad in the front lawn, and the day buds start to knot is the day I put bait supers on. The only downfall is the cleanup of the fruit when it drops.