Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Dipping tapers  (Read 15162 times)

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Dipping tapers
« on: December 21, 2010, 12:51:55 am »
Several of ya'll have asked me about making candles and such so I figured I'd post a little video. Hope you enjoy and Merry Christmas!!!

dipping candles_0001.wmv

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
Re: Dipping tapers
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 01:19:35 am »
Fun video. I'm honestly still undecided whether I want to do the dipped - tapered candles, gonna do the poured ones though.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 01:35:18 am »
Hand dipped sell better and if you set it up right you can make lots of them in a short time. I'm only set up to do 48 at a time but I've seen where a guy that makes them for the Catholic Church can dip 10,000 in a day!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 08:54:23 am »
scott; been playing with my first ones, don't look to good, but they burn
 take care pard and looking to see youall soon
to bee or not to bee

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 10:09:56 am »
Some nice lookin' candles there. I see you were blessin' 'em at the end, just before your elf woke up from...     "pacing " herself.  :-D

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 10:21:03 am »
Nice video Scott.  I just pinned it so it won't get lost.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 07:40:55 pm »
That was great.   Loved it.     X:X

So how do you fix the turkey inside the bigger pot to keep it off bottom?

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 09:29:06 pm »
Allen, I put a rack like the ones you cool cookies on in the bottom of the big pot.

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 09:57:32 pm »
Wow, I had no idea that is how they were made and I have always admired those candles.
Thank you so much for sharing your expertise with us.  Also you were sure drinking lots of diet coke there!! :-D

Annette

Offline ronwhite3030

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 02:25:32 am »
what size wick did you use hardwood?

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 02:26:41 am »
  12 oz-- :lol:  RDY-B

Offline ronwhite3030

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 02:58:29 am »
i said wick, not liquid rdy

Offline ronwhite3030

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 03:08:56 am »
what do you make your candle holders out of hardwood?

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 09:13:39 am »
ronwhite, I've tried several wick sizes and 2/0 square braid seems to work the best. These candles have an 8hr burn time and drip very little.

The candle holders are just simple hexagonal blocks of various exotic woods with a 3/4 hole in the top. When you crowd several of them together it looks like honeycomb.

As for the actual dippers in the video, they're made out of some aluminum plate I had laying around and some threaded rod. I've been thinking you could make some out of bicycle sprockets pretty easily.

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 05:37:55 pm »
*POOF* you are a sticky

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2010, 06:08:08 pm »
That's odd...I didn't feel a thing :-D

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2010, 06:31:13 pm »
That's because you where well hydrated.

As we preach to our scouts - "Hydrate or Die!"

But we don't recommend diet coke for them  :-P
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2010, 09:05:38 pm »
Diet coke?    My eyes may be playing a trick on me.    :-D

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2010, 09:28:42 pm »
Diet coke?    My eyes may be playing a trick on me.    :-D

oh it was prolly 'diet'

like miller diet
bud diet or
coors diet

reckon why cokes and pepsis arent lite? sorry its the meds talking

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2010, 10:09:50 pm »
The prescription meds or the liquid (may intensify the effects) meds?