Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hi from Northern Illinois  (Read 1759 times)

Offline eternal_bliss_

• New Bee
Hi from Northern Illinois
« on: July 17, 2016, 12:37:47 pm »
Hi, I am new to bee keeping, My interest was spiked when a swarm of bee's stayed for a week in one of the huge trees in front of my yard.  I didn't give it much thought as they were not bothering me and diving in and out of the trunk, so decided if they wanted to stay I wasn't going to have them removed. (I live on a small farm and raise dairy goats). I would go look up at them several times a day between going to and from work, and in the evening looked at them with my telescope.  Yes a telescope in all fairness they were up very high and I wanted to be able to see their smiling faces and watch them tap dance at the entrance. Little did I know THEY were the realtors with a listing for a new improved home most probably with a pool. Amazing to watch the comings and goings then suddenly one day they were all gone. Silly as it sounds I felt a loss even though I was never their custodian.
                            Now I look up at the hole in the tree and feel an emptiness. Silly I know but that inspired me to go to a Bee keeping workshop, join some clubs, stay up every night well past midnight watching "The Fat Bee Man" and many other's till early dawn. (TIP OF THE DAY: don't even try to explain to your boss why your tired because you stayed up most of the night watching TFBM), Absorbing information like a sponge searching Bee keeping supply stores and wanting more. I bought several recommended books and a few other bee related items that I will deny all knowledge of owning and here I am.  I would like to be able to set up and start a couple of colonies of bee's most probably next year, (due to it being middle of July) and once I have learnt enough to be able to be their custodian, with enough knowledge to move their furniture around and not have them bail on me for putting the brood in the kitchen or taking honey they need for winter.
                             I totally fell in love with the Brushey Mountain English hives (being English myself), and even if overkill I love them. Although the Idea of painting pastel coloured regular hives is attracting as well. Besides if God's given tree wasn't enough for this swarm of bee's maybe the snobs will come back to an Upscale copper topped hive lol. Anyway this is my intro to the forum I hope to learn, meet others and continue to educate myself on these fascinating little critters.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Re: Hi from Northern Illinois
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 07:52:05 pm »
Welcome to the forum.  Sounds like you are already hooked. :wink:

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 02:43:32 pm »
Welcome
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline eternal_bliss_

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 02:45:20 pm »
Hi cao yes I think I am hooked and thank you for the welcome.

Offline eternal_bliss_

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 02:46:15 pm »
Thank you GSF for the greeting, this seems a very friendly Forum.

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 02:52:31 pm »
Welcome to the forum!
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline eternal_bliss_

• New Bee